fceruti

fceruti

I just wanted to share with you a small macro that has cleaned up many many lines of code for me.

Basically in my contexts I had this kind of code everywhere

      |> Repo.transaction()
      |> case do
        {:ok, %{goal: goal}} = result ->
          PubSub.broadcast_goal_created(user, goal)
          result

        error ->
          error
      end

A possible solution would be to add maybe functions

      |> Repo.transaction()
      |> maybe_broadcast_goal_created(user)

..

def maybe_broadcast_goal_created({:ok, %{goal: goal}} = result, user) do
  PubSub.broadcast_goal_created(user, goal)
  result
end

def maybe_broadcast_goal_created(result, user), do: result

Which is not ideal since I’d have to create one pair for each function in context.

Macros to the rescue!

Inspired by how IO.inspect prints and keeps moving, I created case_continue, which runs case, ignores it’s result and continues the pipe as if it was never there.

defmodule Timetask.Helpers.Macros do
  defmacro case_continue(prev, do: block) do
    quote do
      case unquote(prev) do
        unquote(block ++ [{:->, [], [[{:_, [], nil}], nil]}])
      end

      unquote(prev)
    end
  end
end

Now I can write it like this.

      |> Repo.transaction()
      |> case_continue do
        {:ok, %{goal: goal}} -> PubSub.broadcast_goal_created(user, goal)
      end

Much nicer huh? What do you think? Do you like the name? I also had in mind case_bridge or case_skip.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

RudManusachi

RudManusachi

  1. Piping into case lately became a subject for debates :smiling_imp: (see don’t pipe into case statements)

  2. Macros are awesome! ..mostly for stuff I do on my own :neutral_face:
    Especially adding up to the language syntax meant to be commonly used across the project might not be obvious to the team who work with the code.

    Macros should only be used as a last resort. Remember that explicit is better than implicit . Clear code is better than concise code.

    _https://elixir-lang.org/getting-started/meta/macros.html#foreword_


Whenever I notice case of just two branches one of which just returns the input - I think of with

    result =
      ...
      |> Repo.transaction()

    with {:ok, %{goal: goal}} <- result do
      PubSub.broadcast_goal_created(user, goal)
      result
    end

With your macro we can handle more than just one happy path, though.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

I don’t find the error -> boilerplate that annoying, personally. I always prefer to unpack results (both successand error) from passing Ecto.Multi to Repo.transaction as close to the transaction as possible, because otherwise operation names become an accidental part of the function’s interface.

I’m also not sure how the above macro accomplishes the task - it seems like a result other than {:ok, %{goal: _}} will fail to match in the generated case statement.

fceruti

fceruti OP

Interesting, is this like a tab vs spaces kinda thing? hehe

I’ll check it out.

Yup, bug found! Too quick to publish (solved above) :stuck_out_tongue:

Good point. You could still unpack the result in a later case do to give shape to errors.

      |> Repo.transaction()
      |> case_continue do
        {:ok, %{goal: goal}} -> PubSub.broadcast_goal_created(user, goal)
      end
      |> case do
        {:error, :validate_uniqueness, _, _} -> {:error, "not good"}
        result -> result
      end

or even

      |> Repo.transaction()
      |> case_continue do
        {:ok, %{goal: goal}} -> PubSub.broadcast_goal_created(user, goal)
      end
      |> shape_create_goals_response()

To me it feels natural to have a separate step in the pipeline dedicated to call external services. But that’s just me. It’s definitely clearer when dealing with Repo’s update, insert or delete, where Ecto’s interface is usually the function’s interface → {:ok, struct} & {:error, Changeset}.

RudManusachi

RudManusachi

It depends. Sometimes if “call to external service” fails we would want to rollback the transaction =)) can’t come up with a reasonable example from top of my head why would we took a transaction before external service call, but I have a feeling that I faced that in the past. :slight_smile:

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

Using the then/2 macro introduced in elixir 1.12, you can do:

      |> Repo.transaction()
      |> then(fn 
        {:ok, %{goal: goal}} = result ->
          PubSub.broadcast_goal_created(user, goal)
          result

        error ->
          error
      end)
Sebb

Sebb

Where is the debate? This just says: dont do it!

IloSophiep

IloSophiep

Am i missing something or would one possible solution to define something like Maybe.map that “hides” that case expression away in a generic way (or instead Result.map depending on your context, but that’s not really important)? Maybe and Result modules are common in lots of languages nowadays, so i hope it’s clear what i mean with that. That way you don’t have to define a helper for every situation.

RudManusachi

RudManusachi

Sorry, should have mentioned. Some discussions can be found here and there.. for example in threads in twitter like this one. Or in some threads in comments in HackerNews [1][2]

Sebb

Sebb

There is no case for not piping into case in the links you provided.

fceruti

fceruti OP

Great observation about “maybe” as a name. I actually renamed the macro to maybe_case.

I fail to grasp what you are trying to argue thou. Could you provide some high level code?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews