goodtouch

goodtouch

Over the last few days I built a small custom EEx engine that tackles a frustration I’ve had for a while trying to get proper indentation with EEx templates. I thought some of you might find it useful too.

I’ve been doing a lot of Codegen lately and when writing EEx templates with loops and conditionals, I often end up facing a choice between:

  • Messy template code to get properly formatted output
  • Clean template code but with weird (or even invalid) spacing in the output

This library attempts to fix this by extending EEx.SmartEngine with a special <%| tag that injects some context-aware string manipulation into the AST to ensure that the output is indented in a way that makes sense (at least to me :sweat_smile:).

It also provides a ~TT sigil for convenience and supports including (and re-indenting) “partial” templates.

Quick Example

defmodule Template.DockerCompose do
  import SmartIndentationEngine.Template

  def render(assigns) do
    ~TT"""
    services:
      <%| for {name, config} <- @services do %>
        <%= name %>:
          <%= include :service, config: config %>
      <% end %>
    """
  end
  
  def service(assigns) do
    ~TT"""
    image: <%= @config.image %>
    ports:
      <%| for port <- @config.ports do %>
        - <%= port %>
      <% end %>
    # ...
    """
  end
end

Template.DockerCompose.render(
  services: %{
    livebook: %{
      image: "ghcr.io/livebook-dev/livebook:0.15.5",
      ports: [8080, 8081]
    }
  }
)

This will produce the following output:

services:
  livebook:
    image: ghcr.io/livebook-dev/livebook:0.15.5
    ports:
      - 8080
      - 8081
    # ...

Give It a Try!

I just published it on Hex: smart_indentation_engine.

https://github.com/goodtouch/smart_indentation_engine

If you’re working with EEx templates, I’d love for you to try it out. Let me know what you think, if you encounter any issues, edge cases, or if you have ideas for improvements!

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews