engineeringdept

engineeringdept

I’ve just released the first version of Snap, an Elasticsearch client. It borrows ideas about application structure and process management from Ecto, as well as a DSL-free nature and zero-downtime index management from Elasticsearch.

It adds support for using Streams to perform bulk operations against an index, as well as emitting Telemetry events.

It’s new and probably not production ready yet. I expect to introduce it into a production environment in the coming weeks, and expect some changes will follow.

Please feel free to kick the tyres on it, and see if it’s useful for you. Feedback welcome!

Showing Posts 1 to 8

cenotaph

cenotaph

Did you make any further progress on this?

engineeringdept

engineeringdept OP

Hi there - the library is in production use and has been actively developed since my posting. I believe other people are also using it now.

Werner

Werner

Am looking for an Elasticsearch library, which ones are currently in productive use and under active development? At the moment probably the above mentioned Snap and Elasticsearch or not?

What are the main differences between these two?
Thanks and best regards,
Werner.

engineeringdept

engineeringdept OP

I’ve just released 0.5.0 which includes a bunch of improvements since my last post from other users of the library - see the CHANGELOG. Thanks to everyone who has contributed!

engineeringdept

engineeringdept OP

0.6.0 is out which supports the ability to swap HTTP clients, allowing mock HTTP clients for testing, or to use your preferred HTTP client for whatever reason. It still defaults to using Finch.

Full changelog here: snap/CHANGELOG.md at main · breakroom/snap · GitHub

bdarla

bdarla

Is there a way to query elasticsearch by mixing slop and wildcards for full-text search?
I mean to make a query such “(comput* inform*)~5” and return documents that comprise words such as computer and information wherein they appear close to each other in the text, i.e. maximum 5 words distance.

bdarla

bdarla

I managed to find out how to draft such queries. In case someone might also needs to make such queries, I provide an example below, that can be provided to Snap:

query = %{
      query: %{
        span_near: %{
          clauses: [
            %{
              span_multi: %{
                match: %{
                  wildcard: %{
                    "doc.values.description": %{
                      value: "comput*"
                    }
                  }
                }
              }
            },
            %{
              span_multi: %{
                match: %{
                  wildcard: %{
                    "doc.values.description": %{
                      value: "inform*"
                    }
                  }
                }
              }
            }
          ],
          slop: 14,
          in_order: false
        }
      }
    }
engineeringdept

engineeringdept OP

I’ve just released Snap 0.9.0, which adds support for the Document API in Snap.Document, exposes a Snap.Search.count function for counting documents in an index, and some quality of life and testing improvements with an index namespacing feature.

The index namespacing feature allows a Snap.Cluster to be isolated on a per-application or per-environment basis so you can have your dev environment indexes be prefixed with dev- and your test environment be prefixed with test- etc.

It also allows us to isolate indexes on a per-process basis, which enables asynchronous tests to be isolated from each other, so they operate on their own view of the cluster’s indexes. This is similar to how Ecto sandboxing works, but within the constraints of ElasticSearch/OpenSearch which doesn’t support transactions.

This makes it possible to set async: true in your tests which is often a nice performance improvement.

I’m really open to feedback on this API - let me know if it does what you expect, in the way you expect it!

For more details see Snap.Cluster.Namespace and Snap.Test.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews