cedric
Hi,
My socket are disconnected every 60 sec when they’re not sending data.
I tried to change the idle_timeout to
(debugging purpose) but nothing changes ![]()
Here is my config:
Someone has an idea ?
Thx
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
cedric
I’m using cowboy handler for my websocket. (cowboy 2.9)
josevalim
My understanding most browsers and proxies will close the socket if there is no data after a while. You need to send a ping or similar over the wire if you want to keep it open.
cedric
I have a ping mechanism : server is sending ping message. But it’s when the client doesn’t send data for 60sec that there is a disconnection.
I don’t use proxy for this. But i’ll check if it’s the browser which close the connection.
stefanchrobot
Are you using something different than Phoenix’s channels? The official JS client by default sends a heartbeat every 30 seconds which keeps the connection alive. Otherwise, as José mentioned, proxies and browsers will kill the connection.
We recently had a nasty timing issue where a channel would “randomly” die. The issue was that one of the proxies presumably had a 30 second timeout, so the issue would only be reproducible in the prod environment when the heartbeat would be just a few milliseconds too late
cedric
Yes, I need something low level , that’s why i’m not using Phoenix Channels but cowboy socket
(Client just receive heartbeat from server), otherwise the connection won’t be closed. With Cowboy socket, there is a idle_timeout which close the connection if the client doesn’t send data for 60sec, but this option is set to infinity in my case. That’s why i’m not understanding my issue.
And I’m using Action cable js (My purpose is to make my server in elixir compatible with Action cable js).
But this client doesn’t send heartbeat
I see, thx for sharing this experience. I’ll be careful at proxies
But in my case client and server are in local and there is no proxies between them.
namxam
Have you checked that you are really receiving a pong from your clients? I am not sure about cowboy’s handler callbacks. But
Phoenix.Socket.Transportimplements ahandle_controlcallback which allows you to check if a pong is received. And as it is based on cowboy, you should have something similar.Ping / pong needs to be implemented on both sides. I know about Firefox automatically responding to pings. But maybe your library does not work that way. I guess this would cause a 60s timeout, as no messages are received.
jmbejar
What you did set an “infinite” or no timeout value for regular HTTP requests. But you wanted to change the default timeout for websocket connections, which is different to configure. You may need something like
This option is documented here. As far I undertand it still maps to the low-lewel cowboy
idle_timeoutoption that default to 60s, but here you’re controlling the timeout in the websocket connections rather than the HTTP requests.