NobbZ
As we are currently evaluating server side technologies and I’m in the position to push elixir in my company here, I want to re-implement the current functionality of one of our backend modules in elixir, showcasing its capabilities.
I have some restrictions when doing so though of which I can solve the most, but one remains:
I am not allowed to break the current client software, which uses socket.io for real time communication with the backend among the usual HTTP-RESTful-API.
Is anyone of you aware of a server-side socket.io implementation in elixir (or erlang) that nicely integrates with Phoenix or Raxx?
I doubt beeing able to implement one on my own in the time I have.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
allyraza
I am not aware of elixir implementation of socketio server, But I do know of an erlang implementation which I don’t think is actively being developed
chrismccord
Phoenix 1.4 included our rewrite of the channels layer, so you should be able to implement the
Phoenix.Socketbehavior and speak the socket.io contract. Check thePhoenix.Socketsource to see how we implement multiplexed channels on top of the behaviour.NobbZ
Last commit was many years ago, so I fear it is to old for what I need. My front-end GUI told me that I need to be able to communicate with a 2.0 client.
Neither him nor me are sure if that is a protocol version or the clients version.
I’m also able to tell, that on the server side currently flask-socketIO is used in version 3.0.x.
If I only knew any details about that contract or they were properly specified in terms of a human readable document rather than untyped JavaScript as a reference implementation…
But as I have the python sources of the currently used server side library, perhaps I am able to re-implement the used subset for a start and extend on that…
A single week is very little time for re-implementing one of the transport protocols… Logic in that module is asymptotic to zero. Mainly its querying a database on one endpoint (and converting the database output to the needed JSON structure) and relaying messages from AMQP to the client and translating those system events to a simplified form that only contains category and label.
nonblockio
Hi folks, I meet the same problem recently
Is there any solution?
namxam
Yeah, I am coming back to this thread from time to time. I have a project, where we are hooking into unreal and using a socket io plugin for communication. Unfortunately, the team has not that much experience in this topic and is happy that it currently works… I would love to migrate the server side to elixir but need a socket.io compliant server api. With covid-19 budget is extremely limited and i haven’t found time to invest into research
namxam
Well, our situation got worse and we have various socket.io version requirements in different projects. I would love to give this a try and keep you updated about my progress. But right now I am not really sure where to get started. I guess I will have a look at the
Phoenix.Socketbehaviour. If anyone else might have a tip or hint I would be quite happykartheek
Take a look at Phoenix.Socket.Transport — Phoenix v1.8.8 and you should be implementing socket.io protocol on it.
Below article implements binary WebSocket as Socket Transport -
Phoenix Socket expect heartbeat every 60 seconds - I think you have to figure out something on client side.
If phoenix socket doesn’t work out - may be you have to use cowboy web socket.
I have a question - why do you want to use elixir/erlang for socket.io ?
namxam
Actually, for backwards compatibility, while being able to move forward and only having to maintain a single code base.
It is a kind of legacy situation. We have multiple projects which depend on different versions of a socket.io plugin. They targets socket io protocol v2, v3, and v4. Each has its own quirks and bugs. And there is no easy path to up- or downgrade those plugins to a single version.
My hope is, to have a minimal implementation of the
socket.ioprotocol (or the various versions) which just suffices to provide those apps with what they need. And they only use a very tiny part ofsocket.iofeatures.ZaneH
I looked into doing the work for this over a few days but decided it’s too much for me. I was also needing a way to use socket.io with Phoenix to use the Streamlabs Socket API. For now, I have that part of the codebase in a separate Node.js service.
proxima
I’ve just wrapped up a spec-compliant engine.io implementation in Elixir, and am going to tackle socket.io here shortly. At my current place of work, integration with Plug.Router is plenty, but I’m curious to hear from others if it’s worth the effort to go a few steps further: