josh.nz
I’m starting to follow the book Engineering Elixir Applications, and immediately ran into an issue installing PostgreSQL 15.2 on macOS 15.4.1:
note: 'strchrnul' has been marked as being introduced in macOS 15.4 here, but the deployment target is macOS 15.0.0
Apparently this issue affects macOS 15.4.0+, and has been fixed in a PostgreSQL patch for versions 13-17, but that patch doesn’t seem out yet (at least for 15).
For now, I managed to install it by exporting the following line first, before the asdf install (page 9 of the book):
export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET="$(sw_vers -productVersion)"
Note that I’m using mise instead of asdf, but I believe the same issue will be present with asdf as mise just uses the asdf postgres plugin.
Details of the issue for anyone interested:
I originally found the pgenv solution, which linked to the above bug discussion:
https://github.com/theory/pgenv/issues/93
I hope this helps people.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
josh.nz
Apparently this issue affects macOS 15.4.0+, and has been fixed in a PostgreSQL patch for versions 13-17, but that patch doesn’t seem out yet (at least for 15).
For now, I managed to install it by exporting the following line first, before the
asdfinstall (page 9 of the book):aglassman
Just use docker compose. It’s so much easier to manage various projects that require different versions of services like postgres, mysql, redis, etc.
Schultzer
Thanks, this helped me out when I had to setup a new company laptop!
josh.nz
This might be a better solution long term but a) I’m not overly familiar with Docker (which is partly why I’m reading this book), and b) I was trying to follow the book as close as possible.
There’s always a tension when following technical books; if you deviate too far, you might run into issues you need to diagnose yourself and that might be challenging depending on the nature of the issue and your experience level. At the same time, books can date fast, so you might run into similar issues when following the book directly anyway. Since this book is relatively new, I expected minimal to no issues following the book directly, but the recent macOS update obviously had an impact.