dkuku

dkuku

I’m trying to solve aoc day 3 and my idea is to generate list of points
[“R2”,“U3”]
starting from the point {0,0} then 2 points Right and 3 points Up
the results needs to be:

[
    [{1,0},{2,0}],
    [{2,1},{2,2}{2,3}]
]

or as a drawing:

..u..
..u..
..u..
orr..

my implementation is that I map over the first list,
inside I pattern match on the direction and create a range with the length of vector then again I map over the range to generate the points.
The problem is that every nested map needs a different starting point (the last point from previous list) and I’m not really sure how to pass this variable in elixir - I’m thinking about a global variable but there is probably an easier solution

PS. I don’t want to ask in the aoc thread due to spoilers :wink: and I think the problem is more generic

Solution: the longer I think about it I need Enum.reduce instead of map and accumulate the new list in accumulator - this way I will have access to it in the next iteration

Showing Posts 1 to 2

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I’m unsure why a list of lists, but I’d probably just flatten it then loop over the points, filling in the characters in a map, then loop over the map to determine the extants while rendering out a list/binary of characters, then fill in the empty space with dots and print. I haven’t seen the AoC thing so if some knowledge was disposed on that then I don’t have it. ^.^;

If you don’t want to flatten the lists for some reason, just a nested reduce would work.

dkuku

dkuku OP

I don’t think that I need the whole grid for this particular solution.
I just need to generate list of all the points contained in the vectors.

That’s why I think the question is more generic and if someone has similar problem he won’t probably search in an aoc thread :wink:

The drawing is just for explaining what I want to achieve.
Solution: the longer I think about it I need Enum.reduce instead of map and accumulate the new list in accumulator - this way I will have access to it in the next iteration

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews