SchrodingerZhu
Hello, everyone! I do hope that the standard library can absorb some basic tools in FP (Functional Programming). For example, the standard library can provide the full implement of algae(ADTs together with monads and so on) and thunk(laziness).
Trending in Discussions
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
(I just needed to vent somewhere and LinkedIn is full of hope, or hype, I’m not sure which exactly)
AI dream has many faces, but general...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
Lazyness is already there, to a certain level at least, you can find it in the
Streammodule.Also, nothing of the things you mentioned is necessary for a language to be FP, nor does a language need to be FP to make use of Algebraic Datatypes or lazyness.
But perhaps I got you wrong and you can get a bit more into detail what you actually mean.
kokolegorille
There is also
and
Both by expede.
And a related talk by the author
SchrodingerZhu
Ofc. They are not necessary…But it may be more convenient, I suggest. And, maybe it is just alright to include them in
Hexfor now..NobbZ
Putting all those stuff into the stdlib, would put a lot of a burden to the core team. Also all that typeclassopedia mumble coming along with ADTs (Functors, Applicatives, Monoids, Monads et al.) is scarying newcommers.
When I was in FP class, I’ve seen a lot of students that grasp the syntax of Haskell easily, but had hard trouble to understand everything beyond the differences between sum and producttypes.
Therefore I conclude that putting those tools into the stdlib as a mandatory tool would make it hard for newcomers to get into elixir, while putting them there as optional tools would put the burden of maintanance on the core team while users wont use them that much.
mbuhot
Jose blogged about FP in elixir a while back.
FP is great, but it’s not the end goal, it’s a means to building concurrent and fault tolerant systems.
SchrodingerZhu
Ok, I understand now.