Something like Rails Bytes for Elixir/Phoenix?

Hi, I came across Rails Bytes only recently - it lets you run “scripts” with commands you typically run when adding some gem into application. I was wondering whether something like that is also possible in Elixir/Phoenix?

Not that it’s super useful and important, but it’s kinda nice to have in the prototyping stage when you quickly want to stitch together a bunch of components and try something. A bit like scaffolding generators on steroids.

1 Like

This was linked to in the Thinking Elixir podcast José was on.

https://fullstackphoenix.com

Haven’t looked in detail but seems similar on the surface.

6 Likes

ah very cool! that app generated with tailwind, authentication and kaffy already looks like a great starting point, saving you writing a lot of… well… boilerplate :slight_smile:

thank you and thanks to the author! gonna support him by buying the paid stripe tutorial I guess, been playing with that recently anyway :+1:

3 Likes

This topic was discussed a lot in the past in these 2 threads:

It never came into existence because there’s a lot of things in Rails that lets you build such templates and 3rd party services like RailBytes which don’t exist in Elixir. Based on some of the replies I don’t think we’ll get similar behavior so creating hard coded personalized templates with opinions is the way to go.

It’s my long-held opinion that Elixir could definitely use more code generators but hey, we are all busy and it hasn’t happened yet which is a shame. Elixir is generally easy to refactor – to the extent that this statement can be said for a dynamic language of course – and it’s so far a missed opportunity.

I wanted to contribute something like that for at least 2 years now but alas, time and energy are never enough so far.

1 Like