grangerelixx

grangerelixx

Hi

I am trying sorted index in elixir.

My migration has the following index

create index(:posts, ["date DESC"])

When doing sorted index, should we do the order_by step while querying? like below

Post |> order_by( [p], asc: p.date)

If we are to use sorted index, then why do we also need order_by? Basically what is the advantage of sorted index in this case?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

joey_the_snake

joey_the_snake

There are a few things here…

  1. The order of a result set from a query is not guaranteed because it has an index. In general with SQL you cannot assume any particular order of the result set unless you specify the order by clause.
  2. The advantage of creating a b-tree index when using order by is that you can traverse the index in the same order you want the results to be in. This is faster than scanning the table which most likely won’t be stored in the same order.
  3. All b-tree indices are sorted (it helps ensure the lookup is fast). It just depends on if you want it sorted in ascending or descending order.
grangerelixx

grangerelixx OP

Thats a great explanation. Thank you so much!

BartOtten

BartOtten

The accepted answer misses an important detail, as an index also works backwards. So if you have ASC index, a DESC query uses that index without having to scan the table.

So to extend the answer:

You might wonder why bother providing all four options, when two options together with the possibility of backward scan would cover all the variants of ORDER BY . In single-column indexes the options are indeed redundant, but in multicolumn indexes they can be useful. Consider a two-column index on (x, y) : this can satisfy ORDER BY x, y if we scan forward, or ORDER BY x DESC, y DESC if we scan backward. But it might be that the application frequently needs to use ORDER BY x ASC, y DESC . There is no way to get that ordering from a plain index, but it is possible if the index is defined as (x ASC, y DESC) or (x DESC, y ASC) .

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews