expilo
I can’t find any information in the docs how to use specific locale’s collation rules in sort commands available in Elixir. Does that mean I’m on my own here? If anyone tackled this problem before what did you try? Many thanks for any ideas.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
There is nothing like that in elixir, but you can use
Enum.sort/2and define the sorting function as necessary by your collation.expilo
How strange! I see there is a i18n module in Erlang so maybe that’s something that can be done. Anyway, I think it’s a huge showstopper.
expilo
I have found the Linguist library but it does not seem to address collation
And does not seem to be actively maintained anymore.
expilo
It’s eight years later and by default Elixir still sorts wrong. I think the expected behaviour would be to apply collation rules of the system locale. Does it mean it’s going to stay like this?
ken-kost
Could you give an example?
greven
Hey. The way I do it is using the CLDR Collation lib (all CLDR libs are pretty good! Thanks @kip!)
expilo
[“Łódź”, “Warszawa”, “Zegrze”] |> Enum.sort
expilo
Yes, I know, that’s why I use Elixir! But I don’t understand why it isn’t part of Elixir and it’s not endorsed officially.
LostKobrakai
There is no right or wrong here given a lack of context. Collations are locale specific defaults sort orders so given a lack of knowing the locale there’s no way to select a locale specific default sort order. One and the same list can be sorted differently depending on which local you sort for.
As for the reasons why this is not part of elixir – same reason why elixir doesn’t ship a (full) timezone database – it doesn’t want to be dependant on the release cycles of the source for information needed, as well as needing to choose a source in the first place. Lots of elixirs TZ packages use IANA as their source, but IANA has different update cycles than elixir. They usually update a handful of times or more per year. Elixir does only twice. Instead Elixir exposes a config for users to provide a time zone database via the
Calendar.TimeZoneDatabasebehaviour. This also allows for packages to e.g. integrate with the tz handling of the underlying host OS, which is iirc what nerves does to not duplicate sources.For sorting such an interface exists as well
Enum.sortcan take a module exposing a:compare/2function as argument, which can define sorting order. There’s no behaviour, given the interface is so simple, but it’s documented here: Enum — Elixir v1.20.2So it’s up to the community to build libraries, which allow sorting in a locale specific manner.
ex_cldr_collattionis a first step in integrating with icu4c, but it’s limited atm:Why hasn’t more happened yet? Probably because (as I did above) sorting often happens at the db level less so than at the application level and therefore the need might not be that large. I’m sure @kip would appreciate some help integrating some more locales though.
expilo
Many thanks for Your reply! Yes, it makes perfect sense.