Spacemacs - General Discussion, Blog Posts, Wiki

For what it’s worth I’ve never had Spacemacs highlight do..end properly and it was a long time since I had “jump to matching delimiter” work with do..end as well. It’s not a showstopper, but if someone has an easy fix that’d be cool. Even better would be if do..end could be rainbow highlighted so you don’t even need to have the cursor on either of them to see which one matches.

4 Likes

Is there combination for formatting code?

1 Like

How do you format?

If it’s indenting, you can auto-indent a region with = on visual mode. In normal mode, == auto-indent the line your cursor is on. For indenting all lines from normal mode I use ggVG=. There might be simpler way though.

Note: gg (go to first line), V (block line, to visual mode), G (go to last line), = (indent).

2 Likes

Let’s save one more keystroke gg=G
\s

3 Likes

Thanks, I found one more SPC j = And I guess it does same as ggVG= :thumbsup:

3 Likes

The recommended way to install emacs/spacemacs has been changed in the Spacemacs repo. I don’t think it matters that much, but anyway :slight_smile:

$ brew tap d12frosted/emacs-plus
$ brew install emacs-plus
$ brew linkapps emacs-plus
2 Likes

Thanks, added to the wiki :023:

1 Like

Would love to see some Spacemacs course, similar to Spacemacs ABC where someone shows how to master it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would watch it if it’s short and to the point :smile:

2 Likes

note: brew link apps is/will be deprecated

1 Like

Yes, and sadly practically all Emacs installation tutorials still have this. I personally don’t use Spotlight or Dock to launch Emacs and only use the Terminal so I always skip the linkapps step.

1 Like

How are you all pasting into SpaceMacs from other apps?

So I copy say a Hex code from my design software, go to Spacemacs and double click the hex code I want to replace… then press Command V and… nothing :lol:

1 Like

When ‘into’ spacemacs ‘from’ the system clipboard I just make sure in insert mode and hit Shift+Insert. ^.^

Otherwise if you want to copy or paste into or out of buffers in general, all the usual interaction (and more powerful than traditional copy/paste) hotkeys are listed at (just search copy or paste): spacemacs/doc/DOCUMENTATION.org at master · syl20bnr/spacemacs · GitHub
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

In Vim mode …

In Emacs mode you use “yank”:

• Ctrl-y (Cmd-y if you have modified your configuration to have Cmd act as Ctrl ‡)
  • By default yank doesn’t replace selected text. To change that behavior you need to configure delete-selection-mode

Look forward to having lots of Cmd-v/Cmd-y confusion in your future.
(setq mac-command-modifier 'control)

2 Likes

Thanks both. Looks like I need this:

2.12 Prevent the visual selection overriding my system clipboard?

On some operating systems, there is only one clipboard for both copied and selected texts. This has the consequence that visual selection – which should normally be saved to the PRIMARY clipboard – overrides the SYSTEM clipboard, where normally goes the copied text. This can be corrected by adding the following code to the dotspacemacs/user-config of your .spacemacs:

(fset 'evil-visual-update-x-selection 'ignore)
1 Like

How do you repeat the last command? Or even better how do you re-run a task?

I keep mix phoenix.server running but many times I need to restart it. What I do so far is

• find the buffer where the command is running and kill that buffer
  • , m : to run alchemist-mix
  • wait for the list of available mix tasks
  • select or type phoenix.server
  • if error repeat

Is there any better way?

UPDATE: I made some progress with this. looking from alchemist source and trying to understand spacemac’s documentation I came up with this in my user config. It is a shortcut to run “mix phoenix.server”.

(defun alchemist-phoenix-server ()
    (interactive)
    "Run the Mix task 'phoenix.server'"
    (alchemist-mix-execute '("phoenix.server")))

(spacemacs/set-leader-keys-for-minor-mode 'alchemist-phoenix-mode (kbd "n S") 'alchemist-phoenix-server)

Heck, it even restarts the phoenix.server by killing the previous mix task. The problem I have now is that it runs by typing Spc n S instead of C-c a n S like the rest of the phoenix-mode commands.
I try to figure it from the documentation but I don’t understand exactly how to register it there. I tried “C-c n S” but it doesn’t work. It insists on prefixing with space.

2 Likes

Try:

(global-set-key (kbd "C-c a n S") 'alchemist-phoenix-server)

That said, fwiw, most of the alchemist commands are bound under , (assuming vim mode) while in elixir files in spacemacs. You could use spacemacs/set-leader-keys-for-major-mode to put it there, I think.

2 Likes

Have you enabled 256 color mode? This is how my emacs looks when I use a boring 16 color terminal!

If you use PuTTY, then be sure to tick “Allow terminal to use xterm 256-color mode” under Settings → Window → Colours

http://www.robmeerman.co.uk/unix/256colours#so_does_terminal_insert_name_here_do_256_colours

1 Like

I did that and now I get

Error in dotspacemacs/user-config: Key sequence C-c a n S starts with non-prefix key C-c a

For now I have settled with these lines

(spacemacs/set-leader-keys-for-minor-mode 'alchemist-phoenix-mode "o p" 'alchemist-phoenix-server)
  (spacemacs/set-leader-keys-for-major-mode 'mode-run "o p" 'alchemist-phoenix-server)

and I can run phoenix server when on a phoenix project with -o-p.

1 Like

Sorry, I should have tested. This should work:

(with-eval-after-load 'alchemist
  (define-key alchemist-mode-keymap (kbd "n S") 'alchemist-phoenix-server))

Two things, you need the with-eval-after-load to ensure that you’re running that code after alchemist is loaded. The second is that you need to add to the alchemist-mode-keymap to get it under C-c a.

2 Likes