bluejay

bluejay

https://cervantes.gigalixirapp.com/

This is a hobby app I built with Phoenix LiveView. I wanted a way to track interesting sentences that I find in books, etc and be able to hear them pronounced by a native (or, at least, a very native-sounding computer). Then I practice by trying to repeat the audio from memory, or filling in blanks (like Anki).

If there are any Spanish learners here that want to give it a try, I’d be happy to hear your thoughts. I would say most of the sentences are at the intermediate/advanced level and generally focus on Latin American Spanish. You don’t need to have an account to use it, but creating one unlocks some extra features (bookmarks, personalized highlights, scheduled reviews)

Why would you want to repeat sentences from memory? I think it has several advantages:

  • It lets you think directly in Spanish, without having to translate
  • It helps you internalize common but counter intuitive structures and expressions
  • It increases your ability to notice “little” details, e.g. prepositions

There is also a “Reading mode” that asks you to fill in blanks before hearing the audio. Since the “official” clues probably won’t make sense to you (at least the first time seeing them), you can make your own if you’d like.

If you create an account, future reviews will be scheduled according to the difficulty you assign them.

On the technical side, this app is probably pretty basic for what most people do around here. But I’m happy to answer questions there too.

Cheers

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews