Spanish Learning App Built with Phoenix LiveView

https://cervantes.gigalixirapp.com/

This is a hobby app I built with Phoenix LiveView. I wanted a way to track interesting sentences that I find in books, etc and be able to hear them pronounced by a native (or, at least, a very native-sounding computer). Then I practice by trying to repeat the audio from memory, or filling in blanks (like Anki).

If there are any Spanish learners here that want to give it a try, I’d be happy to hear your thoughts. I would say most of the sentences are at the intermediate/advanced level and generally focus on Latin American Spanish. You don’t need to have an account to use it, but creating one unlocks some extra features (bookmarks, personalized highlights, scheduled reviews)

Why would you want to repeat sentences from memory? I think it has several advantages:

• It lets you think directly in Spanish, without having to translate
  • It helps you internalize common but counter intuitive structures and expressions
  • It increases your ability to notice “little” details, e.g. prepositions

There is also a “Reading mode” that asks you to fill in blanks before hearing the audio. Since the “official” clues probably won’t make sense to you (at least the first time seeing them), you can make your own if you’d like.

If you create an account, future reviews will be scheduled according to the difficulty you assign them.

On the technical side, this app is probably pretty basic for what most people do around here. But I’m happy to answer questions there too.

Cheers

5 Likes