fklement
Hello everyone,
I currently discovered spectrum as a perfect community chat alternative for slack.
There is already a Elixir group which can be found here: https://spectrum.chat/elixir
Here (https://blog.apollographql.com/goodbye-slack-hello-spectrum-8fa6b979645b) is a nice article about the Apollo GraphQL community which fully switched from slack to spectrum.
Basically because of these main reasons:
- Short-lived channel history
- Walled garden (Slack messages are never available outside of Slack)
- Problematic searching
I myself have experienced these problems with Slack and I really think spectrum is a nice approach of solving these problem. Hoping to see more of you on the spectrum elixir chat in the near future.
Greetings,
Felix
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Nicd
What I’m wondering is:
It’s switching from one garden to the other. But I do agree Slack’s short channel history and closedness is not good for open communities. Something visible to search engines would be much better.
I think the biggest problem is network effect, though. A lot of people use Slack at work or for other projects already, and don’t want to switch to other systems. It’s good enough, even though it’s bad. So unless there is an official push from the Elixir core team, I don’t think a switch will happen. More likely is that it will just stay as an alternative.
I will check out Spectrum though.
Phillipp
Since I am banned from the Elixir Slack, I might join the Spectrum one. But tbh, I don’t miss the real time chat that much. If I have a problem, I just post it here in the forum and usually get a much faster reply than in Slack.
njwest
Spectrum is more like a forum with a Twitter-esque UI rather than a chat (you click a thread to reveal and participate in a discussion), and after joining the Apollo Spectrum, I started receiving tons of email notifications by default…
Not to say Spectrum isn’t a useful platform, but I find the Elixir Forum for threaded discussions + Slack && Discord for realtime chat to be sufficient – it’s a nice distributed community

Sunsetting the Apollo Slack is also an interesting choice on Apollo’s part… they seem to really want people to use Spectrum.
@Nicd The magic revenue-positive words in Spectrum’s privacy policy under Use of Data: To gather analysis or valuable information so that we can improve our Service
fklement
I totally agree with you.
Personally I think Slack is great, but the aspect of lacking message history is really annoying.
Especially in communities where many people write/ask/chat much.
Which is great but sometimes when you want to lookup sth that was 2 days ago you can’t find it anymore.
I can’t understand why slack doesn’t support open source communities in some way that messages persists for ever without the need to pay.
kpanic
What about giving a try to https://matrix.org/blog/home/?
It’s free software, has history, search, a bunch of clients (including mobile ones) – has bridges to IRC, gitter, and many more. – Not polished as slack, however it looks to me good enough to have a conversation
Phillipp
Using it for quite a while and I don’t really like it. It’s really really really slow and often messages are delayed for hours or even days.
kpanic
It happened to me in the past, not that much in these days.
That’s why I said that we “could give it a try” (maybe I was not clear) in the sense to experiment with it.
And slack keeps partial history if you don’t pay for it.
OvermindDL1
Has anyone messed with https://zulip.org/ as of yet? I ran across it recently, seems interesting as well.
Zesky665
Aren’t there any elixir/erlang based chat apps out there that can accommodate this community?
njwest
The Elixir community is active on Discord