akoutmos

akoutmos

Author of Build a Weather Station with Elixir and Nerves

Howdy howdy everyone!

After running into some issues formatting SQL for my EctoDbg library, I decided to go a new route and leverage the Rust SQL formatting library sqlformat in order to pretty print queries. That functionality was pulled out of EctoDbg and put into its own library as it has wider application than just my debugging library…so announcing SqlFmt!

SqlFmt is a precompiled Ruslter NIF that wraps the sqlformat Rust library so you can format SQL queries. It also provides a Mix Formatter plugin so you can format SQL files in your project. You can even format SQL statements in your code if you use the included ~SQL sigil. The Mix Formatter plugin takes care of both files and sigils for you and provides some customization options as well if you don’t like the defaults.

Simple example

I’m particularly excited to use this in my Ecto migrations because you can take queries like this:

    execute ~SQL"""
    insert into
      Test (Test_Date, Testno, Examno, Serialno, TYPE, Hours)
    select
      S.Test_Date,         E.Testno,    S.Examno,    S.Serialno,    'Non-Flight',
      (F.STARTED - F.ENDED) AS Hours
    FROM      Semester S,      TIME F,      TESTPAPERS e
    WHERE
      S.Testno = F.Testno
      AND E.Testno = 1
    """

and turn them into this by running mix format:

    execute ~SQL"""
    INSERT INTO
      Test (Test_Date, Testno, Examno, Serialno, TYPE, Hours)
    SELECT
      S.Test_Date,
      E.Testno,
      S.Examno,
      S.Serialno,
      'Non-Flight',
      (F.STARTED - F.ENDED) AS Hours
    FROM
      Semester S,
      TIME F,
      TESTPAPERS e
    WHERE
      S.Testno = F.Testno
      AND E.Testno = 1
    """

Enjoy!

Hex: sql_fmt | Hex
Github:

https://github.com/akoutmos/sql_fmt

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews