Moz is looking for an experienced full-stack or platform engineer to work on our (mostly) Elixir-based data collection, processing, aggregation, and API services.
Diversity matters a lot to us, so I’m putting this first: Moz is committed to building diverse teams where people of all identities and backgrounds are welcome, included, and respected. We work to help close the gender gap in tech, and to actively recruit people from other underrepresented groups. We strongly encourage women, gender diverse people, and minority candidates to apply for this role.
Hiring manager (me): Jeremy Modjeska
My title: Director of Engineering
Company name: Moz
Company info, history, and how Elixir fits in:
Moz (formerly SEOmoz) has helped people do better marketing since 2004. We build web-based tools to do all-in-one SEO tracking, research, reporting, listing and review management, and local search.
The Moz Pro team embarked on a project in 2015 to rearchitect our then-Ruby-based platform using Elixir (you can read about that decision and its results here). The team learned Elixir together, and fell in love with the language and the community. We have no regrets, and we continue to expand upon our core architecture — and build new adjacent microservices — in Elixir.
The Moz Pro platform team is six engineers (seven with you!), who work closely with an eight-person frontend team. There’s some crossover too — we celebrate full-stack humans while respecting your right to never touch a stylesheet if that’s not your thing.
At Moz, we value Transparency, Authenticity, Generosity, Fun, Empathy, and Excellence — the TAGFEE code.
About the job
Job title: Sr. Platform Software Engineer
Job description: https://boards.greenhouse.io/moz/jobs/922622?gh_jid=922622
Salary range: Competitive and negotiable
Position on remote work:
- The job is Seattle-based with flexible office hours.
- Relocation assistance and visa sponsorship are available.
Qualifications or experience required:
- 5+ years experience building distributed backend systems for SaaS / web applications
- B.S. or higher in Computer Science, or equivalent training and experience
- Time in a role with responsibilities outside of code, e.g., monitoring, instrumentation, operations, SDET, managing servers/containers, deployment
- Proficiency in functional and object-oriented programming
- Participation in a technical community is a major plus: e.g., contributions to open-source projects, published works, presentations in academic conferences or industry circles
What the successful job applicant will be working on:
- Design, code, and maintain Moz Pro’s platform application ecosystem
- Scale up and tune our core platform systems as we address our software suite to larger and more complex customer segments, including enterprise. Challenges come in the form of concurrency, data scale, and computational efficiency.
- Provide code reviews, technical feedback, and system design leadership
- Mentor junior developers
- Advise leadership on large-scale and strategic technical decisions
About the interview process
We start with a fun take-home coding exercise. A qualified senior-level engineer will have no problem completing it in a short time.
Our in-person (or remote) interview loop will consist of architecture design discussions, hands-on coding challenges, a non-technical lunch with some friendly Mozzers (if you’re in town), and some quality time with the hiring manager.
We aim to make our interviews fun and collaborative. You’re welcome to bring your own laptop so you can show off your best work in a native, comfortable dev environment.
You can apply for this job here. I’m happy to answer questions in the forum as well.