taliaferro

taliaferro

Good morning folks,
I’m new to Elixir and have a project I’d like to build, but I think I might be a little out of my depth.
I want to make an SSH server which, instead of presenting a command prompt, presents a simple game in the terminal.

I’ve found jbenden/esshd and a couple of small examples of Erlang’s own :ssh module. However, all the examples I can find seem to accept input line by line. The user types a command then the user presses enter, then the full line they typed is sent to the server and my code can read it and do something with it.

I’m wondering if this is a gap in my knowledge about how SSH works. With a normal command-line application, I know there are arcane escape sequences I can send to any given terminal emulator that will put it into raw/non-canonical mode; all nicely abstracted away behind ncurses so I don’t have to think about them.
But in this application, there is no terminal, at least not one I’m aware of.
By what mechanism can I signal to an SSH client that as soon as the user presses an arrow key, I want to hear about it?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

marcin

marcin

Hi!

Not exaclty grasping if you really want to run your ssh server or you just want to run a custom shell, but it will be probably worth reading on:

  • terminal emulator
  • shell (eg bash)
  • ANSI escape codes

It seems that you just need to run standard ssh but have a different shell (then bash) set for a user.

The special codes that are sent by the shell app are interpreted by you ur terminal emulator (eg gnome terminal) and the SSH server just passes them through as strings.

taliaferro

taliaferro OP

Hi Marcin! Thanks for your suggestion.
I should clarify – for the sake of security, and the simplicity of the design, I don’t want to just make a custom shell and put it behind sshd.
I want to use the SSH daemon module included with OTP; that way the server and all the application logic can be part of the same application, and I could handle many concurrent clients in parallel as separate processes.

I have looked at ANSI escape codes, but to the best of my knowledge there’s no way to put a terminal into non-canonical mode using escape sequences alone. The thing that seems to do what I need is termios, but I’m not sure how that’d work over SSH, or how I could interface with it from Elixir.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews