dc0d

dc0d

Assume there is a function like:

def sample do
  lab_pid = self()

  spawn_link(fn ->
    spawn_link(fn ->
      Process.flag(:trap_exit, true)

      receive do
        {:EXIT, _pid, :normal} ->
          send(lab_pid, :done)
      end
    end)

    :timer.sleep(100)
  end)

  receive do
    msg ->
      msg
  end
end

This works. But if we remove the sleep, it becomes stale/deadlock. Why?

Showing Posts 1 to 8

sasajuric

sasajuric

Author of Elixir In Action

I wouldn’t call it a deadlock, but rather a race condition. Too see why it happens, let’s first name these processes:

def sample do
  # process A
  lab_pid = self()

  spawn_link(fn ->
    # process B

    spawn_link(fn ->
      # process C

      Process.flag(:trap_exit, true)

      receive do
        {:EXIT, _pid, :normal} ->
          send(lab_pid, :done)
      end
    end)
  end)

  receive do
    msg ->
      msg
  end
end

So without a timeout, it’s possible that process B stops before Process.flag in process C has been invoked. This happens because spawn and spawn_link are asynchronous. When these functions return, the process has been created, but it’s possible that they still haven’t executed any instruction.

So in this scenario, if process C starts trapping exits after process B had stopped, the corresponding exit signal won’t be converted into a message. So now, you have process C waiting forever for a message which will never arrive, and consequently, process A is also waiting forever for a message which process C will never send.

The solution would be to use synchronous start, e.g. with :proc_lib:

def sample do
  lab_pid = self()

  spawn_link(fn ->
    :proc_lib.start_link(Kernel, :apply, [fn ->
      Process.flag(:trap_exit, true)

      # `:proc_lib.start_link` will return after this function is invoked
      :proc_lib.init_ack({:ok, self()})

      receive do
        {:EXIT, _pid, :normal} ->
          send(lab_pid, :done)
      end
    end, []])
  end)

  receive do
    msg ->
      msg
  end
end
dc0d

dc0d OP

You are right! A simpler way (for me) is informing the parent that the child is started/ready:

def sample do
  lab_pid = self()

  spawn_link(fn ->
    parent_pid = self()

    spawn_link(fn ->
      Process.flag(:trap_exit, true)
      send(parent_pid, :started)

      receive do
        {:EXIT, _pid, :normal} ->
          send(lab_pid, :done)
      end
    end)

    # :timer.sleep(100)
    receive do
      _ -> 0
    end
  end)

  receive do
    msg -> msg
  end
end
sasajuric

sasajuric

Author of Elixir In Action

This is what :proc_lib.start_link and :proc_lib.init_ack do under the hood too :slight_smile: See here and here.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

This is also a good example as to why monitors are often better then links+traps. :slight_smile:

dc0d

dc0d OP

Since here the child is trapping the exit of parent (to do some cleaups for example) wouldn’t the situation be the same? For example the parent process can exit before the Process.monitor(parent_pid) expression executes inside the child process.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

That’s why a parent supervisor of both should ensure that the monitoring process always outlives the children.

sasajuric

sasajuric

Author of Elixir In Action

In this case you would still receive a :DOWN message with an exit reason set to :noproc, so monitor would in fact work without additional synchronism. That said, if we’re talking about parent-child relationship, the usual approach in OTP is to use the exit signals to do the cleanup in child if the parent terminates.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Oh yes, that, I was reading it as the other way (that the parent would die when it’s the parent calling monitor on the child)! Yes, that is why monitor’s should be used, they are always ‘safe’, you will always receive a message of :DOWN, even if it went down before the monitor was started. Monitors are much better than links for watching process lifetimes, links should only be used to actually link and die.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews