jgarrido

jgarrido

Hi, i have been working on a code that counts words on a file. I mostly used standard libraries from Elixir, then tried to run some tests to see how it responds. I tried a simple text with few words and something absolutely ireal with 500k lines of text.. And i tought it’s probably becouse of not using tail-call recursion instead of Enum and Map. The first thing i noticed is that memory usage is very high (on large file) but also that keeps some memory in use even when it finishes. Does tail-call solve this? Why is that memory still runing? how would you improve the code?
Here is my code:

defmodule RepeatedWords do

  def word_count(readFile) do
     readFile
     |> File.stream!
     |> sanitize
     |> count
     |> order
  end

  defp sanitize(words) do
    words
    |> Stream.map(&String.split(&1, ~r/(*UTF)\W/, trim: true))
    |> Enum.to_list
    |> List.flatten
    |> Enum.map(&String.downcase(&1))
  end

  defp count(words) when is_list(words) do
    Enum.reduce(words, %{}, &count_acc/2)
  end

  defp count_acc(word, acc) do
    Map.update(acc, String.to_atom(word), 1, &(&1 + 1))

  end

  defp order(words_count) do
    words_count
    |> Map.to_list()
    |> Enum.sort_by(&(elem(&1, 1)), :desc)
  end

end

Showing Posts 1 to 7

NobbZ

NobbZ

You probably want to :binary.copy/1 individual chunks, to avoid keeping refs to the containing binary forever. The earlier you copy, the earlier the upper refs can be GC’d

Also, words |> Strem.map/2 |> Enum.to_list can be written as words |> Enum.map/2. The Enum.to_list/0 call forces the stream anyway.

Never do this! Just use the string as the key.

alejolcc

alejolcc

String.to_atom(word)

Here is your answer, as @NobbZ says, try to avoid this. The atoms on the beam are not collected by the garbage collector, and that might be the cause of your memory increasing even after the code finished

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

A general note about using Stream functions: the benefit of streaming is not holding the whole file in memory. Calling Enum.to_list on the stream totally eliminates that benefit.

For instance:

readFile
|> File.stream!
|> Stream.flat_map(&String.split(...))
|> Stream.map(&String.downcase/1)
|> Enum.frequencies()

At runtime, this will only ever hold onto one “line” worth of memory along with the map of words → counts.

NobbZ

NobbZ

This still has the references problem, as no explicit copy of the split substrings happens.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Looks like String.downcase reassembles the string from individual codepoints:

That should lose any reference to the original un-split binary, right?

NobbZ

NobbZ

Indeed that should do it.

jgarrido

jgarrido OP

Thanks all for the answers! I updated the code with some of your advices. It runs so efficiently now!

Here you can see it:

defmodule RepeatedWords do

  def word_count(readFile) do
     readFile
     |> File.stream!
     |> sanitize
     |> count
     |> order
  end

  defp sanitize(words) do
    words
    |> Stream.flat_map(&String.split(&1, ~r/(*UTF)\W/, trim: true))
    |> Stream.map(&String.downcase(&1))
  end

  defp count(words) do
    Enum.frequencies(words)
  end


  defp order(words_count) do
    words_count
    |> Enum.sort_by(&(elem(&1, 1)), :desc)
  end

end

I will still work more updates onto this, but im fascinated for the memory reduction with these changes (went from 3gb memory on large file to not going up of 25mb no matter what).

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews