decasm

decasm

Hi, still pretty new to Elixir. Is there a library equivalent of this? I’ve look but I haven’t found anything that looks right, but I want to make sure before I write a library to do it. It seems pretty general so I just assume it’s eluding me.

  # recursive get from collections
  defp getr(x, [head|tail]) when is_tuple(x) do
    getr(elem(x,head), tail)
  end
  defp getr(x, [head|tail]) when is_list(x) do
    getr(Enum.at(x,head), tail)
  end
  defp getr(x, [head|tail]) when is_map(x) do
    getr(Map.get(x,head), tail)
  end
  defp getr(x, []) do
    x
  end

Showing Posts 1 to 5

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

This seems like an implementation of get_in/2.

peerreynders

peerreynders

Have a look at the Access behaviour.

etc.

iex(1)> users = [{"john", 27}, {"meg", 23}]
[{"john", 27}, {"meg", 23}]
iex(2)> keys = [Access.at(1), Access.elem(0)]
[#Function<1.79554587/3 in Access.at/1>,
 #Function<2.79554587/3 in Access.elem/1>]
iex(3)> get_in(users, keys)
"meg"
iex(4)>
decasm

decasm OP

Ok. There it is I guess. I had seen get_in/2 and thought it would work at first, but the Access behaviour looked like it wouldn’t deal with lists and tuples, so I kept looking. I didn’t see the functions-as-keys approach. Seems clunkier than what I came up with, but I assume I’m missing something.
Thanks!

peerreynders

peerreynders

Functions also work with

and Access.key/2 can return a default value if the entry is not found.

There’s also Access.filter/1 and Access.all/0.

hauleth

hauleth

The whole get_in/2 and update_in/3 are Elixir version of lenses which is functional structure for handling and manipulating nested structure. In it core functionality these are 2 functions:

  • get which extracts data from the structure
  • set which put data within structure

So get_in/2 can be thought as a list of functions that will extract value from structure in form:

get_in(stuct, [f, g])

# is (roughly) the same as

g(f(struct))

# and

update_in(struct, [f, g], val)

g(f(struct, val), val)

In reality it is “slightly” more complicated as you cannot return “closured object” with multiple functions in Elixir. So instead it works like that:

f =
  fn
    :get, struct, next -> # extract value and call `next` on it
    :update_in, struct, next -> # call next on data and then update `struct`
  end

So in the end, example implementation of Access.key!:

  def key!(key) do
    fn
      :get, %{} = data, next ->
        # call `next` on extracted data
        next.(Map.fetch!(data, key))

      :get_and_update, %{} = data, next ->
        # get "current data" under key
        value = Map.fetch!(data, key)

        # call `next` on current value
        case next.(value) do
          # return value and update structure
          {get, update} -> {get, Map.put(data, key, update)}
          # remove value from structure
          :pop -> {value, Map.delete(data, key)}
        end

      _op, data, _next ->
        raise "Access.key!/1 expected a map/struct, got: #{inspect(data)}"
    end
  end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews