andrewb

andrewb

Hi,

I have a multi-tenancy SaaS solution that allows tenants to have integrations with external services. I have written a library to handle the integrations that uses a GenServer to hold the integrations in state so I can run synchronisation jobs based on the configured schedule.

I am saving the list of integrations in a db table and want to load the list when the GenServer starts. I am using the Application behaviour to start the GenServer when the solution starts.

defmodule Integrations.Application do
  use Application

  def start(_type, _args) do

    children = [
      {Integrations.Boundary.Manager, %{}}
    ]

    opts = [strategy: :one_for_one, name: Integrations.Supervisor]
    Supervisor.start_link(children, opts)
  end

end

The Integrations.Boundary.Manager needs access to the MyApp.Repo so that it can check for and load any existing integrations. I have tried a number of ways to pass MyApp.Repo to the GenServer but keep getting the error:

** (RuntimeError) could not lookup Ecto repo My.Repo because it was not started or it does not exist

I removed the Application from my library and added a ChildSpec to the MyApp.Application

def start(_type, _args) do
    children = [
      # Start the Ecto repository
      MyApp.Repo,
      # Start the Telemetry supervisor
      MyAppWeb.Telemetry,
      # Start the PubSub system
      {Phoenix.PubSub, name: MyApp.PubSub},
      # Start the Endpoint (http/https)
      MyAppWeb.Endpoint,
      # Start a worker by calling: R2.Worker.start_link(arg)
      # {MyApp.Worker, arg}
      {Integrations.Boundary.Manager, %{}}
    ]

But get the same error. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Showing Posts 1 to 2

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

Shouldn’t that be MyApp.Repo?
Also if you have a GenServer from a library, try not to make it an application itself. Better to add the GenServer in your main application like your second style, and also give it a unique name and necessary arguments in the child_spec, in your case you want to pass the Repo name into the GenServer’s start_link.

andrewb

andrewb OP

Thanks mate … that got me there :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews