Starting out a screencast series on Elixir...any thoughts/feedback?

Hello, I’d like to start a series on Elixir, this is technically my first video. I’d like to gather your thoughts on it.
It’s currently unlisted on YouTube:

Do you think I should do more explaining?

Oh and, YouTube is currently processing the HD version so if you’d like to watch it in HD or 4K you better wait.

2 Likes

Hey Namnoshka, I watched the video. Good job explaining, I thought it was good how you explained the basic uses and also some of corner cases. I’m an Elixir newbie myself and I was able to follow it.

A couple of suggestions, the background is a bit colourful for my and the animation distracted me a bit. Also, there’s not a lot of code on the screen, so you could make it bigger (think of people on mobile devices). I found the contrast of the code quite low as well, you could maybe increase it for accessibility and also to compete with the colourful background :slight_smile:

All in all good job, looking forward to the next installment :+1:

1 Like

Thanks :slight_smile: , that means a-lot. I thought I did bad at explaining. I was also thinking about writing & sticking to a script, just to be more prepared.

I’ll change the colors & go for something elixir-like, I’ll also reduce the animation speed so it doesn’t distract any more people :+1:. I’ve also absolutely forgot about mobile users :laughing: thanks for reminding me.

Oh and, how are you finding Elixir so far?

Update: I have made the video public & I’ll be making the next video based on your suggestions/comments.

I’ve mainly been reading and learning about Elixir for a while, but I think I need to jump in and build something. My day job is mostly Java and so make the OOP to FP jump is a bit challenging and I haven’t got to the point yet where it “clicks”.

There’s so much cool stuff in Elixir and the BEAM space, Phoenix, LiveView, Nerves, NX, so I think it’s worth the effort :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, it will suck at first, you’ll get the hang of it, eventually.
You could start working on something small or start experimenting, and it’ll eventually “click”.
Best of Luck :raised_hands:.