roehst

roehst

Hi, I have been playing around with the Elixir AST (trying to help with an Issue in Credo) and I found two things that I would like to know more about.

The issue was that Credo has an ABC complexity metric check and it has to detect function calls, but the AST (such as the one that Code.string_to_quoted gives) has very little syntatic information, i.e., I expected that terms would be marked with their syntatic category (variables, functions, etc).

I tried reading the Elixir compiler source or the Code and Macro modules to find if there was a way to get that information but I could not find it.

I also failed to find how to maintain a stack using the Macro.traverse/prewalk/postwalk calls (to keep information about the current lexical scope).

The book on Elixir Metaprogramming is wonderful on writing macros, but does anyone know a resource about analyzing the AST, even if that means diving deeper in the compiler and using lower-level representations? I would be immensely grateful for that!

Showing Posts 1 to 8

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

You can do it via the accumulator argument. Honestly though I just encode my own processing as just normal function calls, Elixir’s AST is really simple. :slight_smile:

roehst

roehst OP

I could push values to the accumulator in the prewalk function, but how can I pop them at the right time? Because for example in the prewalk it will read a node and then its children, and then it will go to its sibling node. How can I tell I’m at the last child so that I can pop information from the stack? For example suppose the stack is tracking nested function calls

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Same way as you would anywhere else, just pop the values and return the new structure with the popped values removed. :slight_smile:

Use traverse so you get both ‘up’ and ‘down’ calls.

roehst

roehst OP

Are pre and post arguments in traverse the push/pop down/up calls?

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Yep, pre means it is run ‘before’ recursing down, post means it is run ‘after’ recursing down, so you will push environment in on pre and pop the environment off in post. :slight_smile:

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Also, the prewalk and postwalk are just like using traverse but doing nothing in the other one, so prewalk is like using the pre in traverse while doing nothing in post (fn x -> x end) and likewise for the other way. :slight_smile:

roehst

roehst OP

Cool thanks! But you roll your own traversals usually?

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I tend to do slightly more complex work than most though… ^.^;

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews