Exadra37

Exadra37

I came across this article that have some disturbing facts about using websockets from javascript in the browser for port scanning your machine.

The author discovered this after reading another article about why Ebay is port scanning localhost via websockets.

So this made him wondering how far he could go, and he starts with this question:

This got me thinking. I know that popular JavaScript frameworks use websockets in development to automatically reload pages when content changes. Could a malicious website eaves-drop on that traffic, and find out when developers are saving their code?

The reality was slightly worse than I had thought.

And then finds this disturbing facts:

But what happens when the developer makes a typo? The webpack dev server helpfully tries to send a bunch of debugging and stack information to the developer’s screen, by way of its websocket connection.

Now things are getting juicy. We’ve got code snippets, paths to files, locations, all sorts of bits of useful info.

It gets even better if eventually the Dev accidentally typos on a line containing useful data:

Now we’ve got a copy of this developer’s AWS Dev credentials. Quick, fire up the bitcoin miners!

What are your thoughts on this? Did you ever imagine that this could get so far?

I really need to do a POC of attacking Phoenix WebSockets, because more I read about them, more concerned I get with using them.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I did imagine it will go this far, yes. The insanity that is serving you code (JS) which your browser – which is essentially a small OS – executes almost without scrutiny, mandated that one day this will happen.

As excited as I am for some tech innovations – WebSockets included – we definitely need to get back to basics and even the drawing board for a lot of stuff.

But there’s no funding for that so I predict a lot of very embarrassing security incidents will keep happening for years to come.

egze

egze

On the other hand - the only way to find out all the edge cases and make it better - is to use it. Even the best mind of the world can’t think of all things that can go wrong. Every single invention in human history had issues, but it was improved and made better.

So please do some tests if Phoenix Websockets can be exploited and create an issue if it is the case.

Exadra37

Exadra37 OP

Don’t interpret my post as a complain about Phoenix websockets, I am just trying to raise awareness :wink:

And yes If when I get time to do the POC and I found an issue I will let Chris McCord know about them :slight_smile:

chrismccord

chrismccord

Creator of Phoenix

Skimming the article, the author is using an external site that has js connect to localhost, right? If so, changing check_origin: false to check_origin: ["myapp.local"] in dev.exs with a host file entry would suffice to prevent another host from establishing a websocket connection to your local server.

11
Post #4
hauleth

hauleth

PSA: Do not use .local for your local development domain. It is reserved for mDNS and you should use .localhost which is currently reserved but unassigned to anything.

chrismcg

chrismcg

I use .test mainly because it’s a bit less to type than .localhost. (In conjunction with puma-dev to route foo.test to the right port)

hauleth

hauleth

I have plans for creating similar tool that will be language independent and will automatically create TLS certificates using local CA.

chrismccord

chrismccord

Creator of Phoenix

I had .dev initially but I thought someone would call me out for it being a real tld now, but I failed on my 2nd choice :smiley: In general I still use .dev, but good to know about mdns!

hauleth

hauleth

.dev has few other “problems”, for example enforced HSTS in Chrome, not mentioning people using it as their TLD (like me).

Exadra37

Exadra37 OP

What is the reason behind having check_origin: false in developments? Why not keep it as in production?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews