acrolink
I stumbled upon this:
https://medium.com/@kaisersly/storing-any-elixir-data-in-postgres-e8f93367f473
I am looking for a way to store transient data in PostgreSQL. Basically, LLMChains that can grow big in size.
Is there any better way to do it ? The article suggests using :binary and Term. Or is this actually the perfect way to do it ?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
benwilson512
How big is big? Past a certain point you probably want an object store. Before that though binary and term are quite useful. If you want want to be able to search it from within the DB though consider :jsonb
dimitarvp
If size is an issue you either use
term_to_binarywith compression or just use a full-blown object store as @benwilson512 suggested.acrolink
@benwilson512 What do you mean by object store?
Aetherus
Do you need to index them?
hkrutzer
Amazon S3 or Minio are examples of object stores. They’re also often called blob storage.
acrolink
I need to look them up by a key, so yes. The data can get big, since it is a chain of AI messages
Aetherus
Maybe, just maybe, you can add two columns, one is for the key (indexed), and the other is for the arbitrary Erlang/Elixir data structure encoded in binary.
acrolink
I think it all comes down to how big the data for each item will be. Yes, if it gets big, then maybe yes, this way in a standard PostgreSQL DB, not memory, mnesia or ETS.
acrolink
Can it be stored compressed? The binary data?
dimitarvp
External Term Format — OTP 29.0.2 (erts 17.0.2) seems to say that the data is zlib-compressed.