silverdr

silverdr

In “the other language” for an already long time one can rely on the order of key-value pairs in the Map equivalent so getting keys returns them in the order the data structure was created so I never had problems serialising them into JSON and storing in jsonb columns. In Elixir (and apparently in Erlang) this is not the case though. Hence if I can’t rely on the order of keys in Map then Keyword to the rescue! Now I have the same data wrapped in keyword lists. This is still OK as they are relatively small so traversing them when accessing arbitrary elements is not a show-stopper. All works. And here comes the moment when I need to persist them to the database. “Normally” I’d use jsonb column for storing Maps but how do you suggest storing Keyword?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

FWIW, JSON also provides 0 guarantees about key order within maps, it’s entirely implementation specific. Postgres could change their mind about jsonb tomorrow and technically be spec compliant.

If order is genuinely important I’d have a list of objects like [{"key":"foo","value":1},..]. This way you are depending on behavior not guaranteed by the JSON spec.

silverdr

silverdr OP

Heh, you might be right. I probably overstretched my memory and extrapolated too far from the fact that “Hash” preserves the order. Need to dig out how I did it in the past, tnx.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Just for completeness sake: Jason does support decoding json to a OrderedObjects struct and encode back, which can be used to maintain order, given that property is useful around caching / doing minimal changes to json data, which can be totally unrelated to the fact that consumers of the json data cannot rely on the order.

silverdr

silverdr OP

I’d probably have to write my own serialiser/deserialiser too.. Was wondering if there’s something first-party (like Ecto itself) already available

silverdr

silverdr OP

Right! Something like this:

A wrapper around a keyword (that supports non-atom keys) allowing for proper protocol implementations.

Implements the Access behaviour and Enumerable protocol with complexity similar to keywords/lists.

silverdr

silverdr OP

OK, so.. @benwilson512 is obviously right: “jsonb does not preserve white space, does not preserve the order of object keys […]”, and - yes - it was json, not jsonb what I used to use for such cases. @LostKobrakai is as usual :wink: right too. Jason.OrderedObject works as expected, and since Jason is already a dependency that fits my bill too. Summing up. Jason.OrderedObject combined with json column (although I guess even a varchar() would do here) works well for the case at hand. As always - thank you guys for valuable input!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews