Strange error with LiveView socket and CSRF

Hi, I’ve been trying to add a markdown editor to my personal site and LiveView seems like a good candidate. I’ve built out various other pages on my site using traditional static views and I don’t really need LiveView functionality on other pages so I hadn’t used the --live option when creating the project. I’ve run through the installation guide multiple times trying to spot a step I missed but without success.

The page in question renders successfully but the websocket isn’t established - I see the following error in the logs:

[debug] LiveView session was misconfigured or the user token is outdated.

1) Ensure your session configuration in your endpoint is in a module attribute:

@session_options [
    ]

2) Change the `plug Plug.Session` to use said attribute:

plug Plug.Session, @session_options

3) Also pass the `@session_options` to your LiveView socket:

socket "/live", Phoenix.LiveView.Socket,
      websocket: [connect_info: [session: @session_options]]

4) Define the CSRF meta tag inside the `<head>` tag in your layout:

<%= csrf_meta_tag() %>

5) Pass it forward in your app.js:

let csrfToken = document.querySelector("meta[name='csrf-token']").getAttribute("content");
    let liveSocket = new LiveSocket("/live", Socket, {params: {_csrf_token: csrfToken}});

So far as I can tell I have done all of those steps as part of the installation guide. Each time I see the above debug log, it is preceded by the following info log:

[info] CONNECTED TO Phoenix.LiveView.Socket in 224µs
  Transport: :websocket
  Serializer: Phoenix.Socket.V2.JSONSerializer
  Parameters: %{"_csrfToken" => "LSBdOgQDDQNVPkQDPUcUDWgBG2ANInUNIdiqkIoIxopqN2PeXSn9dm9Z", "_mounts" => "0", "vsn" => "2.0.0"}

This gives me (possibly misplaced) confidence that the CSRF token is making it through and being sent with the WS connection request. I’ve included various other snippets from my project below relating to the sections in the debug message but I’d welcome any/all help on this because I’ve been stuck on it for a few days.

Two more things that may be relevant:

1. I’ve noticed that when I open the LiveView enabled page and leave it alone, it repeatedly reloads the page. Each time it reloads the value of the _csrfToken in the info message changes
  2. I’m using Pow for authentication and I’m using the PersistentSession extension with it

Thank you in advance.

config/config.exs:

config :my_app, MyAppWeb.Endpoint,
  url: [host: "localhost"],
  secret_key_base: "A6DFaZxv0umgtupJyonqNf94nmXoZJeQxhRx3IFfrIdKzD4sojFR8VxOEPvfNPz0",
  render_errors: [view: MyAppWeb.ErrorView, accepts: ~w(html json), layout: false],
  pubsub_server: MyApp.PubSub,
  live_view: [signing_salt: "E0S8hIKgKFGFYiQAR341hR64N2f224tD"]

lib/my_app_web/endpoint.ex:

@session_options [
  store: :cookie,
  key: "_my_app_key",
  signing_salt: "EHfxVnHDQHSPKRsarohJJqNzrj8KUMWG"
]

socket "/live", Phoenix.LiveView.Socket,
  websocket: [connect_info: [session: @session_options]]

plug Plug.Session, @session_options

lib/my_app_web/templates/layout/root.html.eex:

<head>
    <%= csrf_meta_tag() %>
    <script defer type="text/javascript" src="<%= Routes.static_path(@conn, "/js/app.js") %>"></script>
</head>

assets/js/app.js:

import "../css/app.scss"

import "phoenix_html"
import {Socket} from "phoenix"
import LiveSocket from "phoenix_live_view"

const csrfToken = document.querySelector("meta[name='csrf-token']").getAttribute("content")
const liveSocket = new LiveSocket("/live", Socket, {params: {_csrfToken: csrfToken}})

liveSocket.connect()

window.liveSocket = liveSocket

I’ve now attempted the following:

1. I ran mix clean --all, mix deps.get and mix deps.compile to ensure I didn’t have any borked dependencies.
  2. I ran rm -rf assets/node_modules, npm i --no-save --prefix assets to ensure I didn’t have any borked node modules.
  3. I’ve switched to using the MnesiaCache backend for Pow.

None of these things solved my issue and I still see the same debug message in my logs and the same pattern of page reloads. I added some calls to IO.inspect within the phoenix_live_view dependency and my problem seems to be that the created %Phoenix.Socket{} has no session information. The logged value of the socket is:

%Phoenix.Socket{
  assigns: %{},
  channel: Phoenix.LiveView.Channel,
  channel_pid: nil,
  endpoint: MyApp.Endpoint,
  handler: Phoenix.LiveView.Socket,
  id: nil,
  join_ref: "4",
  private: %{connect_info: %{session: nil}},
  pubsub_server: MyApp.PubSub,
  ref: nil,
  serializer: Phoenix.Socket.V2.JSONSerializer,
  topic: "lv:phx-FjRz-igtqSANgQ2k",
  transport: :websocket,
  transport_pid: #PID<0.832.0>
}

I had the same sort of problems getting LiveView running. Getting all the little details right was pretty challenging.

It might be a long shot but I noticed that you didn’t call out including the LiveView js in your package.json. If i remember correctly, you have to add this to your deps in package.json:

"phoenix_live_view": "file:../deps/phoenix_live_view"

I also found it incredibly helpful to run the server in an interactive session if you aren’t already doing so.

iex -S mix phx.server

The LiveView will reset anytime you hit an error in your handlers and it’s really handy to see the error message right away.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I double checked and I definitely have the phoenix_live_view dependency correctly included in my package.json.

I also tried running iex -S mix phx.server. Unfortunately I only saw the same output as before. I suspect the error I’m seeing prevents the socket from being established. I’m really struggling to think of anything else to try at this point.

Hi, Did you end up to solve that ? I’m inside this hell loop too

I believe this line might be the culprit:

Try to pass {params: {_csrf_token: csrfToken}} instead. The csrf token has to be passed as _csrf_token and not _csrfToken.

It might also happen, if you are running the code inside an IFrame.

For instance in Replit the WebView component displays the site inside an IFrame. As a result (I belive) the CSRF token is read from the Replit application, not the application you are developing. So the CSRF token is invalid.

The simplest solution in that case is to open the site directly in the browser and check if everything works as expected.