emeryotopalik

emeryotopalik

Hello. I am experiencing an unexpected behavior with the way Elixir is handling a guard clause exception. Take the following:

defmodule Foo do
     def eval(x, percentage) when rem(x, 100) < percentage, do: true
     def eval(_, _), do: false
end

Foo.eval(nil, 20) # Sometimes this is false, sometimes it is true

I have a function very similar to the one above running in my application. Occasionally, I pass x = nil to the function. I would expect there to ALWAYS be an Arithmetic Exception stemming from calling rem(nil, 100) and thus the guard would fail and we would catch the next eval function head.

But, that is not the case. I’ve tried digging into the Elixir source code to decipher how exceptions are handled in guards, but I get a bit turned around. My best guess is that the exception is being compared in the < evaluation itself, and thus the flakiness? I truly do not know.

I do understand that the way to fix this would be to first check is_integer(x). I am merely trying to understand why the exception is being handled as I expect in the first place.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

trisolaran

trisolaran

I tried your code. Foo.eval(nil, 20) always returns false to me.

iex(36)> 1..10000 |> Enum.map(fn _ -> Foo.eval(nil, 20) end) |> Enum.uniq
[false]
stefanluptak

stefanluptak

Same here:

iex(12)> Enum.all?(1..100000000, fn _i -> Foo.eval(nil, 20) == false end)
true
emeryotopalik

emeryotopalik OP

I wonder if this is maybe only reproducible in an application. When I run this code in iex, I agree it always returns false.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Maybe you’re using an older Elixir version for your app?

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Exceptions aren’t propagated outside the guard, they are considered “failure to match”:

If an arithmetic expression, a Boolean expression, a short-circuit expression, or a call to a guard BIF fails (because of invalid arguments), the entire guard fails. If the guard was part of a guard sequence, the next guard in the sequence (that is, the guard following the next semicolon) is evaluated.

(from the Erlang reference manual)

I’d guess the intent was to avoid having to spam is_integer and similar checks.

rvirding

rvirding

Creator of Erlang

Yes, we felt that it was better to be consistent and have all exceptions in guards just cause the guard to fail. It could otherwise sometimes be very difficult to add tests to avoid all errors in guards.

emeryotopalik

emeryotopalik OP

Nah, on 1.12

eksperimental

eksperimental

I can confirm this issue. As I have managed to reproduce it @emeryotopalik

And it sounds like a serious one. And when it fails, it fails repeatedly for a while until it may go back to normal, and then it may fail again.

I am running Arch Linux 64bits, and my elixir --version is:
OTP 24.1.2

$ elixir --version
Erlang/OTP 24 [erts-12.1.2] [source] [64-bit] [smp:8:8] [ds:8:8:10] [async-threads:1] [jit]

Elixir 1.12.2 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 24)

mix test fails big time:

$ mix test
Compiling 3 files (.ex)
Compiling lib/bar.ex (it's taking more than 10s)
Generated debug_me app

  1) test Compile time (FooTest)
     test/foo_test.exs:19
     Assertion with == failed
     code:  assert report(Bar.result()) == [false: times]
     left:  [{false, 1970374}, {true, 8029626}]
     right: [false: 10000000]
     stacktrace:
       test/foo_test.exs:22: (test)

.

  2) test Runtime (FooTest)
     test/foo_test.exs:12
     Assertion with == failed
     code:  assert report(result) == [false: times]
     left:  [
              {false, 606},
              {true, 640},
              {false, 588},
              {true, 1264},
              {false, 597},
              {true, 528},
              {false, 194331},
              {true, 2000},
              {false, 1333},
              {true, 1333},
              {false, 666},
              {true, 9796114}
            ]
     right: [false: 10000000]
     stacktrace:
       test/foo_test.exs:16: (test)
..

Finished in 5.1 seconds (0.00s async, 5.1s sync)
1 doctest, 4 tests, 2 failures

Randomized with seed 934406
$ MIX_ENV=test iex -S mix
Erlang/OTP 24 [erts-12.1.2] [source] [64-bit] [smp:8:8] [ds:8:8:10] [async-threads:1] [jit]

Interactive Elixir (1.12.2) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)
iex(1)> for chunk <- Enum.chunk_by(Bar.result(), & &1), do: {hd(chunk), length(chunk)}
[false: 1970374, true: 8029626]

iex(2)> Enum.map(1..10_000_000, fn _i -> Foo.eval(nil, 20) end) |> Foo.report()       
[false: 10000000]

iex(3)> Enum.map(1..10_000_000, fn _i -> Foo.eval(nil, 20) end) |> Foo.report()
[false: 10000000]

iex(4)> Enum.map(1..10_000_000, fn _i -> Foo.eval(nil, 20) end) |> Foo.report()
[false: 10000000]

Now I run it with OTP 23.3.4.9 , mix testpass all tests,
here are the commands on IEx:

$ iex -S mix
Erlang/OTP 23 [erts-11.2.2.8] [source] [64-bit] [smp:8:8] [ds:8:8:10] [async-threads:1] [hipe]

Interactive Elixir (1.12.2) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)
iex(1)> for chunk <- Enum.chunk_by(Bar.result(), & &1), do: {hd(chunk), length(chunk)}
[false: 10000000]

iex(2)> Enum.map(1..10_000_000, fn _i -> Foo.eval(nil, 20) end) |> Foo.report()
[false: 10000000]

…and it’s all good.

So my quick assumption is that this is due the the JIT compiler introduced in OTP24

I have created a project for things like this, where I test an Elixir project in every Elixir/OTP version combination.
and suprisingly it does not fail for OTP 24 with JIT. (it only fails with OTP 17, and it does not even compile, so that is unrelated).

https://github.com/eksperimental/debug_me/runs/4491828158?check_suite_focus=true

the source code of Elixir project can be found here:
GitHub - eksperimental/debug_me at emeryotopalik · GitHub


UPDATE 1:

And Noticed that when it fails it fails after ~600 results (or multiple of this number), after running MIX_ENV=test mix do compile --force, test multiple times:

these 2 are from the same compilation:

# Compile times:  1998
[{false, 1246}, {true, 1186}, {false, 666}, {true, 1126}, {false, 666}, {true, 5110}]

# Run time: Note that 1998 is 666 * 3
[{false, 1998}, {true, 8002}]
----------------

then I got:

# Runtime (but Compile time did not fail)
[{false, 606}, {true, 999394}]

--------
# Compiletime
 [{false, 665}, {true, 99335}]

---------
# Compile time
[{false, 665}, {true, 99335}]
krstfk

krstfk

I believe this has to do with this bug :https://github.com/erlang/otp/issues/5401 which has been fixed with https://github.com/erlang/otp/pull/5409 and was part of the erts 12.1.4 (I believe released with Erlang 24.1.5).
I could not reproducer using your repo :

$ iex --version
Erlang/OTP 24 [erts-12.1.5] [source] [64-bit] [smp:8:8] [ds:8:8:10] [async-threads:1] [jit] [dtrace]

IEx 1.12.3 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 24)

$mix test
.....

Finished in 4.2 seconds (0.00s async, 4.2s sync)
1 doctest, 4 tests, 0 failures

emeryotopalik

emeryotopalik OP

Updated and it seems to be working consistently for me now! Thanks for the spot.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews