holasoymas

holasoymas

I’m encountering a strange issue when using Enum.filter/2 in my Elixir script. The problem occurs when I filter a list with a condition that elements should be greater than a certain value using pipe operator.

pipe_operator.exs

defmodule PipeOperator do
  def return_big(list) do
    list
    |> Enum.map(&(&1 * 2))
    |> Enum.filter(&(&1 > 40))
  end
end

big = PipeOperator.return_big([2, 5, 20, 30,40])
IO.inspect(big)

EXPECTED RESULT
I expect the output to be a list of elements greater than 40 after they have been doubled. For the input list [2,5,20,30,40] . The doubled list is [4,10,40,60,80] and the filtered list should be [60,80].

ACTUAL RESULT
When I filter with &(&1 > 40), instead of the expected list, I get this strange output in my terminal:

myname@Lenovo-V14-IGL:~/Desktop/learnelixir/modules$ elixir pipe_operator.exs 
~c"<P"
myname@Lenovo-V14-IGL:~/Desktop/learnelixir/modules$ 

and sometime ~c"<Px" , ~c"<\n(<Pdepending the value of list.

However, if I change the filter condition to &(&1 > 2), or 1 it works as expected, and I get the correct filtered list.

Elixir version : Elixir 1.17.0 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 27)
OS : Linux mint 21.2

Showing Posts 1 to 2

rvnash

rvnash

IO.inspect is interpreting the list of integers as a Charlist, and rendering it with the ~c sigil. You can explicitly tell IO.inspect to render the list of integers as a list.

See: FAQ · elixir-lang/elixir Wiki · GitHub

iex(6)> IO.inspect([60,80])
~c"<P"
~c"<P"
iex(7)> IO.inspect([60,80], charlists: :as_lists)
[60, 80]
~c"<P"
dimitarvp

dimitarvp

They are exactly the same, the numbers can be interpreted as printable characters so they are shown as such. This setting can be disabled btw.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews