sezaru

sezaru

I was having a discussion with my team in my daily job yesterday and we talked a little bit about how Ash improved our productivity, etc. One negative point that was brought up was that we feel that our project take a lot of time to compile some of our resources (some of them take more than 30 seconds).

That made me wonder if there are some best practices and tips to make the resources as lightweight as possible.

One thing that I think slow down compilations (it is a guess, I didn’t test it out to confirm it or not), is adding has_many to resources even if we don’t actually use the relationship anywhere (for example: An User can have one Role, so we add a belongs_to to it, but then, the Role can have many users, so we add a has_many to it event though we never actually access the users from the Role resource).

So, is there some best practices, and tips and tricks to improve resource compilations?

Showing Posts 1 to 9

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

I have no idea if this affects compilation time but I’m a big advocate of not doing this. This is really no different than having “just in case” code/unused public functions. It can also lead to things like people preloading out of convenience when they shouldn’t be.

Schultzer

Schultzer

Lots of people think premature optimization is just about performance, but most of the time it falls in this category, building for a future that never will happen. It’s as destructive as early abstraction. Dead code has no place in your codebase, regardless of what the future holds.

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

The biggest thing you can do here is to remove as many anonymous functions from your resources as possible and extract them into module changes/preparations etc.

sezaru

sezaru OP

Actually, none of my changes/preparations uses anonymous functions, they are already all inside modules.

Do breaking the resource into fragments help in any way?

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

I’ve heard that it can yes but I haven’t confirmed it personally.

nocsi

nocsi

I had this same sort of problem and came up with ash_profiler | Hex

There’s an incredible amount of solving that goes on when you don’t go out of your way to break up resources

frankdugan3

frankdugan3

That is really cool. I have an ERP in Ash that will definitely benefit from it. Seems like your Git repo is either private or wrong URL?

sezaru

sezaru OP

This is amazing, I will try it out ASAP! Btw, seems like the github repo doesn’t exist.

nocsi

nocsi

Sorry about that, was moving a bunch of projects into a new org so i could publish:

https://github.com/zpc-sh/ash_profiler

There you go. This ones for the devs that have over 30 attributes in an Ash Resource

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews