lisa
Hi,
I have a problem with Stream.chunk_while in combination with Enum.at (elixir version is 1.5.1)
here is the code:
chunk_fun = fn
i, [] ->
{:cont, [i]}
i, chunk ->
if rem(i, 2) == 0 do
{:cont, Enum.reverse(chunk), [i]}
else
{:cont, [i | chunk]}
end
end
after_fun = fn
[] -> {:cont, []}
chunk -> {:cont, Enum.reverse(chunk), []}
end
stream = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] |> Stream.chunk_while([], chunk_fun, after_fun)
calling stream |> Enum.at(0)
gives me this error:
** (ArithmeticError) bad argument in arithmetic expression
(elixir) lib/enum.ex:793: anonymous fn/3 in Enum.fetch_enumerable/3
(elixir) lib/stream.ex:1413: anonymous fn/3 in Enumerable.Stream.reduce/3
(elixir) lib/stream.ex:234: Stream.after_chunk_while/3
(elixir) lib/stream.ex:1446: Enumerable.Stream.do_done/2
(elixir) lib/enum.ex:789: Enum.fetch_enumerable/3
(elixir) lib/enum.ex:311: Enum.at/3
but it’s ok to run stream with Enum.to_list:
> Enum.to_list(stream)
[[1], [2, 3], [4, 5]]
also it’s ok to get last chunk like so:
> stream |> Enum.at(2)
[4, 5]
Probably I’m doing something wrong?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
aseigo
Enum.atis expecting theEnumerable.reduceto always call the reducer function with two params: the entry and a tuple which it passes through ({:not_found, index}) … however, when a:halttuple is passed toStream.chunk_while, it actually calls the after function (3rd parameter toStream.chunk_while) and that calls the reducer function again!So it is being run one too many times, and as a result instead of an index which it is incrementing with
+ 1, it gets (in your case, at least) a list. This is the source of the arithmetic error:(If your stream was a list of integers, it would also return an incorrect value, fwiw … it would eventually return a
{:not_found, max_index}tuple, I believe..)In HEAD, it does this differently and the search for the correct value almost works .. but not quite. Instead if fails with:
Because it is now doing this:
… it is expecting a list with one entry at the end of its traversal and for the same source reason it doesn’t end up with that. oof.
Paging @josevalim … looks like a bone fide bug?
josevalim
Yes, please file a bug report so we can include a fix on v1.6.
lisa
https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/issues/7112