mkarnebeek

mkarnebeek

I intent to stream a large XML document over http, containing a list of objects. Each object is to be converted into a struct and put inside an elixir stream. This stream is given to client code which does arbitrary data processing. The idea behind this is to not load the entire document or all structs into memory before passing it to client code.

The syntax would look something like:

stream("http://..")
|> Stream.map(...)

But my concerns already start at the HTTP library, handling async requests by sending http chunks as messages to another process. For example:

HTTPoison.get! "http://", %{}, stream_to: self

When i execute the following:

HTTPoison.start
HTTPoison.get! "http://mirror.nforce.com/pub/speedtests/250mb.bin", %{}, stream_to: self
:observer.start

I can see in the observer the memory usage increase and the messages to my process stacking up until the entire file is loaded. This (in my head) poses a problem, as the processing is potentially way slower that retrieving the file.

Should I be concerned about this? As far as I know it is not a good idea to load the entire file into memory. On the other end, data processing has been started at the moment the first object is received, and telling the webserver to back-off has it’s own problems (more open connections, taking server-side resources longer than needed, etc.)

Showing Posts 1 to 2

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

I would look at using :hackney directly. HTTPoison does not surface the API that :hackney has for doing demand driven http streaming.

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Yes, the HTTPoison just sends messages and doesn’t have any back-pressure mechanism. The end result is exactly what you are seeing. I would open up an issue in the HTTPoison issues tracker too, possibly linking back here, the :stream_to API seems to be a very dangerous one.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews