grufino

grufino

Hello!

I am building a pipeline to process, aggregate and transform data from csv files, then write back to another csv file… I load rows from a 19 column csv file, and with some mathematical operations (map reduce style) write back 30 columns in another csv.
And it was going fine until I tried to upload a 25mb file to the application, 250000 rows, and then I decided to stream all the operations instead of eagerly processing… but now that I’m changing function by function with streams, I faced a problem that I don’t understand why, after only 5 fields created, when I try to write to file the program just freezes and stops writing after a few thousand lines.

I’m streaming every single function so it shouldn’t have any locks as far as I understand, and for the first thousands writes it works fine so I wonder what’s happening, in the erlang observer I can only see usage of resources dropped to near 0 and it doesn’t write to the file anymore.

This is my stream function (before I just load from file), and next is my write function:

def process(stream, field_longs_lats, team_settings) do
    main_stream =
      stream
      # Removing once that don't have timestamp
      |> Stream.filter(fn [time | _tl] -> time != "-" end)
      # Filter all duplicated rows by timestamp
      |> Stream.uniq_by(fn [time | _tl] -> time end)
      |> Stream.map(&Transform.apply_row_tranformations/1)

    cumulative_milli =
      main_stream
      |> Stream.map(fn [_time, milli | _tl] -> milli end)
      |> Statistics.cumulative_sum()

    speeds =
      main_stream
      |> Stream.map(fn [_time, _milli, _lat, _long, pace | _tl] ->
        pace
      end)
      |> Stream.map(&Statistics.get_speed/1)

    cals = Motion.calories_per_timestep(cumulative_milli, cumulative_milli)

    long_stream =
      main_stream
      |> Stream.map(fn [_time, _milli, lat | _tl] -> lat end)

    lat_stream =
      main_stream
      |> Stream.map(fn [_time, _milli, _lat, long | _tl] -> long end)

    x_y_tuples =
      RelativeCoordinates.relative_coordinates(long_stream, lat_stream, field_longs_lats)

    x = Stream.map(x_y_tuples, fn {x, _y} -> x end)
    y = Stream.map(x_y_tuples, fn {_x, y} -> y end)

    [x, y, cals, long_stream, lat_stream]
  end

write:

def write_to_file(keyword_list, file_name) do
    file = File.open!(file_name, [:write, :utf8])

    IO.write(file, V4.empty_v4_headers() <> "\n")

    keyword_list
    |> Stream.zip()
    |> Stream.each(&write_tuple_row(&1, file))
    |> Stream.run()

    File.close(file)
  end

@spec write_tuple_row(tuple(), pid()) :: :ok
  def write_tuple_row(tuple, file) do
    IO.inspect("writing #{inspect(tuple)}")

    row_content =
      Tuple.to_list(tuple)
      |> Enum.map_join(",", fn value -> Transformations.to_string(value) end)

    IO.write(file, row_content <> "\n")
  end

Showing Posts 1 to 3

mbuhot

mbuhot

Is it related to consuming main_stream multiple times?

Does it work if main_stream is materialised into a list first?

grufino

grufino OP

Just tried using Enum.to_list after apply_transformation/1… but same result.

ananthakumaran

ananthakumaran

You could look at the current stack trace of the process Process.info(pid, :current_stacktrace), which might provide some clue.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews