fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks

I am building a Phoenix app with session-based authentication. Sessions are stored in the database (for reporting/visibility/persistence) AND in ETS via Cachex. I’m working through the code that needs to run on startup that queries the database for all active sessions and loads that data into cache. I thought this would be a good opportunity to explore using streams (and tasks + async).

I came up with the following code that works in the iel shell:

import Ecto.Query, warn: false
alias Auth.Schemas.Session
alias Auth.Contexts.SessionContext
alias Auth.Repo

now = Timex.now()
query =
from s in Session,
     where: s.expires_at > ^now,
     select: s
stream = Repo.stream(query)

Repo.transaction(fn() ->
  Enum.to_list(stream)
  |> Enum.reduce(fn s, _acc ->
              SessionContext.cache_session(s)
              IO.puts("Session caching #{s.id}")
              end)
end)

That works! And I can query Cachex on the various session IDs and it returns what I would expect, i.e. SessionContext.get_from_cache("some-session-id-here") returns an :ok with my session data.

However… when I try to test that in my ExUnit tests, I get a failure. I suspect it has something to do with threads and processes and however those get spawned when running mix test, but honestly, that’s only a guess. I’ve noticed that sometimes when a function writes data to both PostGres AND to Cachex, sometimes the test can only see one of them (?!?).

Can someone shed light on why this doesn’t work in the test environment? Why does SessionContext.get_from_cache("some-session-id-here") return an :error with no session data found?
Do I have to update my mix.exs or something to make ExUnit be able to “see” what’s going on in the cache?
How can I incorporate an asynchronous task to make sure that this completes the process as quickly as possible?

Thanks for any insights!

Showing Posts 5 to 1

fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

I figured out a solution that satisfies my tests:

    Repo.transaction(
      fn () ->
        Enum.map(stream, &cache_session(&1))
      end
    )
al2o3cr

al2o3cr

It sounds like you may be experiencing unexpected isolation from Ecto.Adapters.SQL.Sandbox - it’s used by default in the generated DataCase module. Each of your tests runs in a transaction which is rolled back at the end of the test, and unless you take specific steps to share the underlying database connection different processes won’t see each others updates.

Docs: Ecto.Adapters.SQL.Sandbox — Ecto SQL v3.14.0

IIRC the sharing situation is better on Elixir 1.8+ due to some plumbing changes ($callers etc).

fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks OP

Yes, that comparison works. If you would care to provide an alternate example, that would be great!

NobbZ

NobbZ

AFAIK ecto does allow this, as it operates on the DB rather than on datetimes.

easco

easco

I ask for your patience as I’m going to mention something that may be tangential to your problem, but struck me when looking at your code:

where: s.expires_at > ^now

Can you compare dates using the > operator in this way? It seems that you should be using DateTime.compare (or something similar)

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews