smanza
Hello.
I practiced Elixir for few months now but every time I wonder about some code organisation and particularly with struct and business logic.
I don’t know if struct must only define simple data transformation and validation or should contains more complex and business logic instead of dedicated business logic module.
From one side I have the feeling than logic functions dealing with the struct should be in the same module. But from another side, those functions may requires calls to other business logics modules etc… So maybe the abstraction and responsibility is not well designed.
What do you think that should be belong into struct module ?
Thanks
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
mbuhot
Complex structs like
%DateTime{}are a good example where the external users are discouraged from pattern matching directly on the struct fields, and should use the functions provided by the module to transform the value.For Ecto shemas I like to put the functions that produce changesets in the schema module, then the higher level business logic that manages the transaction scope in context module function, or even a dedicated module for handling each command.
smanza
So you recommend using functions in struct for data transformation not for logic using it , like high level business logic dealing with other context modules ?
mbuhot
Yes that’s the approach I follow.
Declare data structures and the functions to transform them in the same module.
Then separately the business use cases in other modules.
Domain Modelling Made Functional is a good reference on organising code with domain models and workflows.
smanza
Thanks, I also was thinking about this approach.
I will look at it to see if it suits well.
smanza
Do you think struct functions must only be pure ( without side effect: genserver, ets, database call) ? And reserve those to more statefull modules or business workflow modules ?
mbuhot
For application code, that’s probably a good rule to follow, it aligns with the ‘functional core, imperative shell’ architecture style.
However for library code, there are examples where it doesn’t apply:
Plug.Connis mostly pure functions, but it also contains the necessary functions likeread_bodyandsend_respwhich aren’t pure.Ecto.Changesethasunsafe_validate_uniquethat makes a DB call while most other validations are pure.dimitarvp
Mostly yes but don’t get religious about it. It’s okay for your business logic functions to depend on
EctoandPlugwhich have stateful (impure) parts. Utilise some tooling (like the boundaries library by @sasajuric) to check for dependencies you don’t want to allow but outside of that, don’t sweat too much about it.