japplegame

japplegame

It appears that structures created with the %Struct{...} syntax do not share the key tuple.

Compare:

iex> Enum.map(1..1000, &%URI{port: &1}) |> :erts_debug.size()
24000
iex(68)> Enum.map(1..1000, &struct!(URI, port: &1)) |> :erts_debug.size()
14010

The difference in memory usage seems significant. Is it a flaw or by design?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

Sorc96

Sorc96

That’s interesting. I thought %Struct{...} would just call Struct.__struct__(...), but it must be doing something else as well. Since it is special syntax, I’m not sure where to look for the implementation in the Elixir source code.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

The %URL{} version expands the struct definition at compile-time. You can demonstrate this with the @compile :S flag:

defmodule Foo do
  defstruct [:bar, :baz, huh: 69]
end

defmodule Bar do
  @compile :S

  def literal_version(x) do
    %Foo{bar: x, baz: 42}
  end

  def struct_version(x) do
    struct(Foo, bar: x, baz: 42)
  end
end

Running elixir on this file fails, but also produces a new file with the extension .S that has BEAM assembly in it.

literal_version compiles to an explicit map operation:

{function, literal_version, 1, 11}.
  {label,10}.
    {line,[{location,"struct_demo.ex",8}]}.
    {func_info,{atom,'Elixir.Bar'},{atom,literal_version},1}.
  {label,11}.
    {put_map_assoc,{f,0},
                   {literal,#{}},
                   {x,0},
                   1,
                   {list,[{atom,'__struct__'},
                          {atom,'Elixir.Foo'},
                          {atom,bar},
                          {x,0},
                          {atom,baz},
                          {integer,42},
                          {atom,huh},
                          {integer,69}]}}.
    return.

Versus the struct version:

{function, struct_version, 1, 13}.
  {label,12}.
    {line,[{location,"struct_demo.ex",12}]}.
    {func_info,{atom,'Elixir.Bar'},{atom,struct_version},1}.
  {label,13}.
    {test_heap,5,1}.
    {put_tuple2,{x,0},{list,[{atom,bar},{x,0}]}}.
    {put_list,{x,0},{literal,[{baz,42}]},{x,1}}.
    {move,{atom,'Elixir.Foo'},{x,0}}.
    {line,[{location,"struct_demo.ex",13}]}.
    {call_ext_only,2,{extfunc,'Elixir.Kernel',struct,2}}.
Sorc96

Sorc96

That makes sense for performance. I also just tried putting the original code into a module and now both examples have the exact same result. So this must be related to IEx and doesn’t make a difference in regular modules.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Yeah, you always want to test performance related stuff on modules not ad hoc evaluated code.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews