otuv

otuv

Hi,

Lets say I have a struct, lets say named Struct with the singular field x (default 0).

When I create it I get &Struct{x: 0}
Since they are maps I then use Map.put to add something else like y: 5 I get %{struct: S, x: 0, y: 5} and it is no longer an Stuct

Is there some way to purge any non struct fields and restore it to an Struct?

(Here the whole idea is obviously stupid)

Showing Posts 1 to 4

gregvaughn

gregvaughn

Here’s one approach. I chose the URI struct because it’s small and in the std lib.

iex(39)> u = URI.parse "http://forum.elixirforum.com"
%URI{
  authority: "forum.elixirforum.com",
  fragment: nil,
  host: "forum.elixirforum.com",
  path: nil,
  port: 80,
  query: nil,
  scheme: "http",
  userinfo: nil
}
iex(40)> m = Map.put(u, :y, 5)
%{
  __struct__: URI,
  authority: "forum.elixirforum.com",
  fragment: nil,
  host: "forum.elixirforum.com",
  path: nil,
  port: 80,
  query: nil,
  scheme: "http",
  userinfo: nil,
  y: 5
}
iex(41)> s = struct(m.__struct__, Map.from_struct(m))
%URI{
  authority: "forum.elixirforum.com",
  fragment: nil,
  host: "forum.elixirforum.com",
  path: nil,
  port: 80,
  query: nil,
  scheme: "http",
  userinfo: nil
}

struct/2 ignores keys that are not specified in the struct itself

brettbeatty

brettbeatty

I prefer the previous answer, but another option would get a list of keys expected in the struct and take them from the map.

Building on the other example:

iex> Map.take(m, Map.keys(%URI{}))
%URI{
  authority: "forum.elixirforum.com",
  fragment: nil,
  host: "forum.elixirforum.com",
  path: nil,
  port: 80,
  query: nil,
  scheme: "http",
  userinfo: nil
}

Two downsides to this approach compared to the previous:

  1. This solution won’t replace any missing keys.
  2. This approach doesn’t let you create the struct dynamically (not without wrapping it in struct/0 at least, which at that point you might as well do the other).
otuv

otuv OP

Looking at these answers I realized that my existing code is a bit backwards and what I really wanted can be done better with this solution.

Thank you both for replies!

ityonemo

ityonemo

you can also use map cons, if you would like for your code to crash when you try to assign a nonexistent field, lets you catch errors in tests (how good is your test coverage? lol)

defmodule S do
  defstruct [x: 0]
  def do_something(val = %S{}) do
     %{val | y: "oops"}
  end
end

will crash on do_something. Whenever it’s a struct, I prefer using map cons for that bailout behaviour.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews