smolcatgirl
Hi,
I am trying to get better at Elixir and I was looking for a reason to make a library. Because writing libraries seem to be a good way to learn Elixir, not just doing code but actually implementing low level tech and seeing what they return. So I found myself wanting to take a map and create a struct from it. The function should also tolerate if any keys are missing or if there are more keys than whats specified. So i wrote this library.
It has a function that takes a keyword list or a map and converts into a struct given a module name.
Here is the link for anyone interested: https://github.com/smolcatgirl/struct_create
I would like any feedback
Thank you!
Trending in Announcing
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents
See this post about renaming the package.
Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components.
https://github.com/woylie/doggo
Features
Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
Hi everyone,
I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library.
Current functionality
In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
Following on from my CLDR lbraries I started work on Unicode transforms. But like everything related to CLDR there is a lot of yak-shavin...
New
Other Trending Topics
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
hauleth
Just in case, there is
Kernel.struct/2for that.ityonemo
As an exercise it’s nice! But you very likely don’t want to use this in production since it will cause an atom table leak if it’s passed user maps. This is a security regression as a malicious user can start spamming your server with strings that aren’t atoms yet and eventually cause your server to crash.
smolcatgirl
What if I change it to use String.to_existing_atom?
smolcatgirl
struct/2 fails if I include too many keys. I could filter the keys before but my library does it for me and it works with keyword lists too.
edit: wait it seems like i got it wrong, struct/2 works with this.
ityonemo
That’s slightly better but keep in mind that crashes the calling process. You should probably do a reverse check, which is to say, filter props in your proplist which don’t match Atom.to_string for the struct properties. Do you know how to obtain the list of fields in a struct?
smolcatgirl
Map.from_struct, Map.keys and then map them and convert them to strings?
Should I return a errror value in case the user provide a bad module name or a non keyword list or non map?
ityonemo
Yes. Also, modules with structs define a magic
__struct__/0function that you can use to get a hold of the default struct, bypassing @enforce_keys requirements (use with caution).