apr
Hello,
I have an umbrella application with many children applications. I would like to run some code (the same code) if any or all those child applications are started (i.e. when running tests, when running iex -S mix at the umbrella level, etc.) What would be the best way to structure such code?
Thanks!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
entone
Maybe you can explain exactly what you are trying to accomplish.
Nerves does something like this with the Shoehorn application, it ALWAYS starts, so even if other applications crash, you always have something running.
I’m not exactly sure how it accomplishes this, but you could dig into the code. Shoehorn — shoehorn v0.9.3
But maybe there’s another way to accomplish what you need to do.
apr
Good idea, this could be an example of the XY problem. I am trying to store some DB rows in
:persistent_termand want to guarantee that the rows will be stored in:persistent_termbefore any of the applications start.And thanks for the link, will take a look!
entone
If it wasn’t an umbrella application, you could just use a supervision tree, and have your first process insert the data, but assuming you don’t want to refactor everything
Shoehorn might be exactly what you need.
At the same time, the idea of a global state being shared across all of your applications is kind of frightening.
What exactly is the use case?
axelson
Couldn’t you create a new application (that all of the other applications depend on), whose supervision tree contains a
GenServerthat inserts the rows in:persistent_term?dimitarvp
In addition to @axelson’s excellent suggestion, do also have a look at GenServer’s
handle_continue.gregvaughn
I have used the Module @on_load callback to ensure persistent terms are set up the first time the wrapper module is used. That allowed me to avoid any concerns about app startup processes.
apr
That’s an interesting approach, but I am not able to get it to work with modules that represent a schema. I keep getting the error:
__MODULE__.__schema__/1 is undefined (function not available). Do you know what might be causing it?gregvaughn
I suspect Ecto’s
schemamacro is setting an @on_load callback and yours overrides it. If you could find the right call, your callback could call Ecto’sapr
Thanks for the quick reply! Turns out I was not returning
:oklike I was supposed to from theon_loadfunction. Returning:oksolved the issue.This approach looks promising. I am going to play around with it and report back.
gregvaughn
Oh, good because I just grepped the ecto code and “on_load” does not appear, so my suspicion was all wrong
I think my first attempt forgot that
:oktoo, so I can relate. I hope it works out for you.