jsmestad
I have a set of IoT devices reporting their current status to MQTT when online. Rather than storing the status, which can update frequently, in a database, I wanted something ephemeral like a GenServer.
My question though is how should I structure the GenServer? It seems naive to have every single device report it’s state to a single GenServer instance. On the other end, it seems like overkill to have a GenServer for every device (thousands of devices).
If it helps, the data is rather simple from each device:
{
online: {boolean},
active: {boolean},
activated_at: {timestamp},
expiring_at: {timestamp},
device_uid: {uuid}
}
What this data will be used for?
For now a simple dashboard showing all devices that are known and showing their current state.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
hauleth
Check out
Phoenix.Presence. You can also use ETS table.jsmestad
That has been recommended to me in the past, but the documentation ties it to the concept of Phoenix Channels (and thus Topics / Rooms). I do not quite understand how to decouple those two things so that I have something I can query from outside a room/topic/channel.
Does that make sense?
Also the question about how to structure that stands here as well. Do I have a single Presence tracker for all thousand+ devices?
hauleth
This is a little bit of the problem with Phoenix libraries that some of them IMHO needlessly use
Phoenixin their name. Documentation ofPhoenix.Presencepoints to thePhoenix.Trackerin case if you need only tracking, without rest of the Phoenix (I do not know why they resigned from namefirenestfor this, this would probably provide less confusion).Yes. You should have single Presence/Tracker for all of your devices.
jsmestad
For me it is less about including Phoenix, it is decoupling using Phoenix.Presence from Phoenix.Channels. Are Channels necessary for Presence usage?
hauleth
Not at all.