jberling
One thing I miss from developing native apps with Swift is the structured logging in the Console app.
I loathe scanning text logs and find Elixir’s output hard to scan. It’s often just a wall of text. Like in this screenshot:
Is there a solution for sending the logs to either the Console app or a custom-made UI? A solution where maps are rendered as nicely as with GitHub - software-mansion/live-debugger: Tool for debugging LiveView applications · GitHub maybe?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex












Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
The primitives are there, but I’m not aware of ready made solutions.
:loggersupports structured logs and you can have handlers sending logs wherever you need.Though you still also need producers of logs to produce structured logs. If logs come from libraries that’s not just a change to your code.
jberling
Yeah, I’ve seen Logger supports structured logging.
I can live with that. If at least my own loggins are structured I am happy.
Ok, if no solution is there, maybe I should build it myself …
D4no0
A solution for this would be great. I’ve had problems countless times with such long error messages, sometimes it would get so bad, that I would have to copy paste into a text editor and split it on my own to make any sense of it.
LostKobrakai
Just to add. It’s not like there’s no solutions at all out there, but usually they’re coupled to some logger aggregator system, which one might or might not use and usage is generally less likely in development over in production.
I was curious however. Apple seems to have a C api for its unified logger system, so a NIF or port could call into that.
krasenyp
I’m amazed nobody has mentioned Syslog (RFC5425) yet. It’s old, well known, and allows structured and unstructured logging at the same time. Couple it with Promtail/Vector for forwarding logs to Loki and you have a production setup at home.
hauleth
Maybe something like old project of mine GitHub - hauleth/lumberjack: Web based log viewer for Erlang and Elixir applications · GitHub. It may not be actively maintained at the time of writing, but it is functional and more or less complete wrt. Elixir/Erlang logs.
Alternatively you can pipe your logs to something like Lnav to view them locally.
jberling
I couldn’t make it work unfortunately. A mismatch between the versions of file_system phoenix_live_reload and lumberjack needs.
Terbium-135
Not an answer regarding structured logging but:
You might also have a look at
https://github.com/elixir-error-tracker/error-tracker
Needs a postgres DB though, but it mitigates the pain looking at these ‘extended’ error messages like the one you were showing to us.
hauleth
I will check and update as needed. It shouldn’t be hard.
jberling
Interesting. I’ll take a look at it!