Edy

Edy

I am writing a simple elixir application for a hackathon. The idea of the application is to have two instances of an API behind a load balancer.

This API has two endpoints one for adding transactions, credit and debit. The other for getting summary of transactions.

In the transactions, debit transactions cannot be accepted it they are out of the limit - each customer has a max limit how much they can owe.

I made a simple implementation, even without database. But I can’t beat some other implementations I’ve seen. I didn’t expect to beat the performance of Java or Rust but I’d expect to beat others like PHP and NodeJS.

My p99 is around 90ms but I have seen some implementations in NodeJS handling 40ms - even less in some cases. I found even more faster Elixir implementations using way more libraries, which tells me I am the problem.

So far I have an Erlang cluster of two nodes. Once they get up, five global GenServers are started. The stress test simulates five customers. In my application, each of them is a gen server which contains the state of limit, balance and the latest events

  def start_link({client_id, limit}) do
    case GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, {client_id, limit}, name: {:global, process_name(client_id)}) do
      {:ok, pid} -> {:ok, pid}
      {:error, {:already_started, pid}} -> {:ok, pid}
      error -> error
    end
  end

  @spec init({client_id :: integer(), limit :: integer()}) :: {:ok, {balance :: integer(), limit :: integer(), latest_txns :: list()}}
  def init({client_id, limit}) do
    Logger.info("start client #{inspect(process_identifier(client_id))} | #{inspect(node())} - #{inspect(Node.list())}")
    {:ok, {0, limit, []}}
  end

Besides some validations, whenever a request comes in I just perform the GenServer.call for that specific customer - hence specific process.

  def handle_transaction("c", payload, req) do
    {:ok, balance, limit} = Rinha2.Client.credit(payload["client_id"], payload)

    :cowboy_req.reply(200, %{
      <<"content-type">> => <<"application/json">>
        }, <<"{\"limite\":#{-1*limit},\"saldo\":#{balance}}">>, req)
  end

I am pretty sure it can perform better. However, I can’t see where is the bottleneck. Would somebody have any clue? Having better ideas how I can profile that would be useful as well.

Here is the source code: GitHub - geeksilva97/rinha-de-novo: tentando mais um pouco... com cowboy puro com limao · GitHub
Stress test using Gatling: rinha-de-novo/load-test/user-files/simulations/rinhabackend/RinhaBackendCrebitosSimulation.scala at master · geeksilva97/rinha-de-novo · GitHub / rinha-de-novo/executar-teste-local.sh at master · geeksilva97/rinha-de-novo · GitHub

Showing Posts 1 to 5

Edy

Edy OP

Quick update. And more information.

I was executing, in Docker, but in Apple M3. 12 cores, 18 GB RAM. I was getting p99 around 90ms

I executed in Manjaro, also in Docker. Intel i5, 8 cores, 16GB RAM. I got a p99 of 4ms.

Is it all Docker overhead?

tj0

tj0

Someone else also ran into this. Likely a mac issue.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

TBF everything runs faster in Manjaro. :smiley:

But I’ve heard about spiking latencies in Docker on ARM Macs as well.

Edy

Edy OP

Got it, guys. Thanks a lot for your help!!

lubien

lubien

Yeah, my Mac was overall slower too (I’m the guy from the thread on the other forum). I’ve been running on my Ubuntu since

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews