Onor.io
Just wondering about opinions on how to format code where I’m capturing the result of a few pipelined operations. For example:
v =
op1
|> op2
|> op3
I’m inclined to put the variable the result is going into up on a line by itself so it’s more obvious that the whole thing is getting captured to a variable. But I’d like to hear the opinions of others regarding how I might handle this.
BTW, Could someone create a “coding-style” or “coding-standards” tag and attach it to this message? I don’t have sufficient privileges to create new tags.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 9- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
sashaafm
I usually do
v = op1
|> op2
|> op3
This leads the code to be condensed, explicit and easy to read. I’ve also seen this way a lot in a lot of Elixir code.
EDIT: I’ve created the tag ‘coding-standards’
sztosz
https://github.com/niftyn8/elixir_style_guide
Qqwy
I really like the indented style of
When you don’t indent there, it is less clear that the pipeline will still end up affecting the value to the left of the equals-sign.
Indentation in Elixir usually don’t matters for execution, but it does significantly affect the readability.
Onor.io
And readability is what I’m most concerned about.
Onor.io
Thanks for that link. I had a link to a different Elixir Style guide as well. I’m asking partially because I’d like to hear if there are points for and points against that style. It strikes me as good coding style but if there’s some strong reason not to use it, I figure the folks here would be most likely to know it.
sashaafm
I honestly prefer the way I described mainly because the code is written with a “block shape”. I find it way easier on the eyes and provided better readability. When skimming over code catching these code blocks from “the corner of your eye” seems to make it easier to remember and associate what the code block does as well. Just my opinion, of course.
Yesterday I actually found that the following piece of code works:
but I couldn’t find an actual style I enjoyed for it. In these cases I prefer to not use syntactic sugar and shortcuts in order to keep the code in more standard and popular ways of styling.
Onor.io
That’s very interesting @sashaafm. I didn’t realize that sort of code would work.
Qqwy
Interesting that this works. It is a great example of how Elixir is very regular in the syntax it provides (what I mean by that, is that there are nearly now ‘exceptions’ to when certain syntax is possible).
Of course, in the example above, readability is probably improved by extracting the case-statement to its own function.
riverrun
You can also use the pipe after the case statement.

Here’s an example which includes concatenating the string before sending it to url_decode64 function:
defp urldec64(data) do data <> case rem(byte_size(data), 4) do 2 -> "==" 3 -> "=" _ -> "" end |> url_decode64! endNow I think that’s really expressive and easy to read. Having said that, I don’t know how many people will agree with me