sezaru

sezaru

Currently, when writing a calculation, the third argument is the expression.

For example:

calculate :full_name, :string, expr(first_name <> " " <> last_name)

This looks clean and simple, but when the calculation is a little bit more complex, it starts to get a little bit messy:

    calculate :total_feedbacks_in_class_this_month,
              :integer,
              expr(
                count(feedbacks,
                  query: [
                    filter:
                      expr(
                        class_id == ^arg(:class_id) and
                          inserted_at >= fragment("date_trunc('month', now())") and
                          inserted_at <
                            fragment("date_trunc('month', now()) + interval '1 month'")
                      )
                  ]
                )
              ) do
      argument :class_id, :string, allow_nil?: false
    end

I was wondering if we could add an alternative way to write the calculations where we can not write the third argument and alternatively add it inside the calculate code block.

Something like this:

   calculate :total_feedbacks_in_class_this_month, :integer do
      expression expr(
        count(feedbacks,
          query: [
            filter:
              expr(
                class_id == ^arg(:class_id) and
                  inserted_at >= fragment("date_trunc('month', now())") and
                  inserted_at < fragment("date_trunc('month', now()) + interval '1 month'")
              )
          ]
        )
      )

      argument :class_id, :string, allow_nil?: false
    end

At least for me, this seems easier to read.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

You can do this today:

   calculate :total_feedbacks_in_class_this_month, :integer do
      calculation expr(
        count(feedbacks,
          query: [
            filter:
              expr(
                class_id == ^arg(:class_id) and
                  inserted_at >= fragment("date_trunc('month', now())") and
                  inserted_at < fragment("date_trunc('month', now()) + interval '1 month'")
              )
          ]
        )
      )

      argument :class_id, :string, allow_nil?: false
    end
sezaru

sezaru OP

Omg, is this somewhere in the documentations? I can’t believe I missed this

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

I’m actually not sure if its documented anywhere…

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews