jtomchak

jtomchak

We’ve been working on a ‘Summer of Elixir’ as a mini series for our podcast JavaScript to Elm. A show that usually covers, well Elm, and other functional topics from the perspective of a JS developer. The goal is to build and deploy a small application with Elixir to learn and share our experience. The first 2 episodes are available

Elixir with Phoenix #84

Elixir Deployment #85

So far it’s been pretty enjoyable, with only mild frustrations. :smile: We’d love feedback, tips, resources. Anything you’ve got that might help us along the way. Check back for new episodes until summer’s over, or we get our project built!

You can subscribe here and follow along: Podcast Feed

Showing Posts 1 to 10

stefanluptak

stefanluptak

I just started listening to the Elixir Deployment podcast and noticed a mention about Google App Engine not supporting WebSockets (called sockets in the podcasts for some reason). This is already solved, see here: Elixir | Google Cloud Platform - #22 by stefanluptak
Anyway, I am currently trying to do the same CI/CD pipeline with GCP + Kubernetes, so I am really looking forward to the rest of that episode. :slight_smile:

jtomchak

jtomchak OP

You beat me to the punch !!! Today’s episode is about that realization and transition to App Engine !!! Page not found

jtomchak

jtomchak OP

Continuing the Journey !!
Elixir with App Engine #86

App-Enggine WebSocket Support As of Feb 2019, it looks like we’re good to go. That coupled with the $30/month bill we would incur when our gcp credits ran out, this switch seems to make a lot of sense.

stefanluptak

stefanluptak

Excellent. Adding to my podcast queue. :slight_smile:

jtomchak

jtomchak OP

We’ve finally getting into some of the actual Elixir now that our CI/CD is all set up and it’s a blast!!!
Checkout the progress, and look for the full rundown about it this week.

https://imgur.com/hJVbiwH

Jesse

jtomchak

jtomchak OP

Pretty sure I called them ‘sockets’ just of of laziness, good catch, kind of a big difference! I hope you got your pipeline up and running with GCP :crossed_fingers:

jtomchak

jtomchak OP

We are making awesome progress !! Auth with Auth0 is totally working!!! Check it out

Elixir Phoenix with Auto0 #88

You can play with it at https://postit.blog

jtomchak

jtomchak OP

Trying to get my Phoenix deployment on GCP App Engine to force or redirect to the SSL connection. Currently you can connect to both http and https. I’ve seen a couple options

Using the app.yaml for gcp

//app.yaml
handlers:
- url: /.*
  script: auto
  secure: always
  redirect_http_response_code: 301

In the prod config using rewrite_on

config :postit, PostitWeb.Endpoint,
  http: [port: System.get_env("PORT") || 4000],
  # url: [host: "localhost", port: System.get_env("PORT") || 4000], # This is critical for ensuring web-sockets properly authorize.
  cache_static_manifest: "priv/static/cache_manifest.json",
  check_origin: false,
  server: true,
  root: ".",
  version: Application.spec(:postit, :vsn),
  rewrite_on: [:x_forwarded_proto]

Oh! So it looks like I am using the right value, but totally forgot the force_ssl part !

force_ssl: [ rewrite_on: [:x_forwarded_proto]]

I’ll try that and report back

mchean

mchean

Thank you! Great podcast on Elm. I put Elm on the back burner, but will look at it again.

stefanluptak

stefanluptak

Just fyi, we ended up setting up our pipeline with GitHub as a repo + pull requests → GitLab CI for CI, checks, etc. → Gigalixir for deployment. I would love to use GitHub Actions to avoid GitLab as another layer of complexity, but unfortunately, we’re still waiting for the public beta approval or for final release. As for Gigalixir, It’s lot easier to create, scale and mainly destroy an app compared to Google App Engine.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews