cvkmohan
Do we have any usecase for adding supabase/realtime: Broadcast, Presence, and Postgres Changes via WebSockets (github.com) in our Phoenix Application?
Yes, there is a Dart client and Javascript client which consume this library. But, what benefits can we get if we include this in our Phoenix LiveView application?
Is the question outright silly? Sorry then.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
cevado
as I understand this is not a library but actually an application from supabase, and is a feature of the services they provide, you can read about the feature here:
same as any other application using this feature. you most probably will connect your live view with data coming from supabase and have stuff broadcasted there.
edit:
can you reproduce those features by using Phoenix Presence and Phoenix PubSub from your database directly without the need of using supabase? yes. i guess it makes more sense if you’re already using supabase and want to have those features managed by it.
chasers
Not silly at all! I help run the Realtime service for Supabase.
Honestly, I’m not sure there is a reason for Elixir folks to use the Realtime stuff from Supabase. It’s built in Elixir and we get all this stuff for free with Phoenix (Broadcast and Presence) and Postgrex (ReplicationConnection).
The services Supabase has built on top of Postgres are really targeting front-end / serverless devs who don’t want to run a backend of their own.
We (Elixir folks) have to run a server somewhere anyways.
Other things like Auth and Storage could be interesting but we haven’t totally fleshed out that story for Elixir devs yet.
cvkmohan
Thanks for understanding my question and answering it. When I read your answer, I realized my question could be put in a much better way.
Yeah -Storage might be interesting to use.
chasers
Also worth mentioning, you can use Supabase to simply host your Postgres database.
All the extra stuff is opt-in and our pricing should be competitive with other Postgres hosts!
cvkmohan
Yeah. With a https://fly.io it is becoming even simpler. Maybe RowLevelAuthentication has to be removed first.
Maybe your marketing team does not want the focus to drift. 
We get Edge Database at a very reasonable cost. I guess, Supabase docs can have one page atleast for Elixir Developers.
cvkmohan
@chasers Supabase Postgres · Fly Docs - This is in private beta. Any news you have on what is the status of the project? I did request - but - no response.
I guess the alternative is signing up for Supabase independently, and use zoedsoupe/supabase-ex: A complete Toolkit to interact with Supabase APIs from Elixir (github.com) for interaction.
But, I believe most will look for Managed Postgres hosting by Supabase.