madasebrof

madasebrof

Wow, this is an odd one.

I’m making an http request (post) to a server.

  1. Work fine from curl
  2. Works fine from iex
  3. Bombs out when I run from within app!

I have literally never had this happen before, when the EXACT same function behaves differently live vs. iex.

Just wondering if anyone has insight into some magic that might be going on behind the scenes that could be causing this! (This is a phoenix app, but doesn’t seem phoenix-related…)

I even added a checksum function to make sure the data being sent was identical & there wasn’t some odd file-write delay causing the issue.

Example - Success from iex (note–iex is actually connected to the running app!):

iex(91be5e1d30ff@172.21.0.3)5> Polo.Ib.Connect.post(body, "/create") 
13:24:11.570 [info]  Ib.Connect.post endpoint: [ https://qa.xyz.com/ws/eca/create ]
13:24:11.573 [warn]  
Mojito.request(
  method: :post,
  url: https://qa.xyz.com/ws/eca/create,
  headers: [{"Content-Type", "application/json"}, {"User-Agent", "Elixir"}, {"Accept", "*/*"}],
  body: data -> checksum = 904033a8a73bdea778edf96317957f40704686cd,
  opts: [timeout: 180_000, transport_opts: [verify: :verify_none]]
)

{:ok,
 %{
   "batchId" => 305738,
   "fileData" => %{
     "data" => "hQ ... eFBJXdc/cKHQ==",
     "name" => "sgimFA_20200211-082414031_965716.xml"
   },
   "isProcessed" => true,
   "timestamp" => "2020-02-11 08:24:15"
 }}

works great!

From with the app, when running programmatically, I get

[info] Ib.Connect.post endpoint: [ https://qa.xyz.com/ws/eca/create ]
[warn] 

Mojito.request(
  method: :post,
  url: https://qa.xyz.com/ws/eca/create,
  headers: [{"Content-Type", "application/json"}, {"User-Agent", "Elixir"}, {"Accept", "*/*"}],
  body: data -> checksum = 904033a8a73bdea778edf96317957f40704686cd,
  opts: [timeout: 180_000, transport_opts: [verify: :verify_none]]
)

[error] %Mojito.Response{body: "<!DOCTYPE html>\n<html>
\n<head>\n<title>Account Management Unavailable | ... \" content=\"500 Error\">\n<<> ..., 
complete: true, 
headers: [{"date", "Tue, 11 Feb 2020 13:21:47 GMT"}, 
{"server", "Apache"}, 
{"vary", "\\\"Origin\\\""}, 
{"content-security-policy", "frame-ancestors 'self'  ... .com;"}, 
{"content-length", "5879"}, 
{"connection", "close"}, 
{"content-type", "text/html; charset=UTF-8"}], 
status_code: 500}

Note that the checksum of the data is identical! The headers are identical! It’s literally the exact same function with identical arguments.

I am just totally at a loss as to what could be different.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

ps Was using HTTPPoision, then switched to Mojito/Mint to see if that would fix, but same issue.

Showing Posts 1 to 9

gmile

gmile

When you make it from the application & from iex, I’d suggest using wireshark to look into the headers/body of outgoing request & look again byte-by-byte how are they different.

madasebrof

madasebrof OP

Cool, thanks for the suggestion. Installed wireshark, but unfortunately all TLS1.2, so all encrypted packets! Unable to read headers, etc. I guess I’d need to be able to run Mint in debug-mode to have it print out header, etc, like when you run curl -v.

gmile

gmile

It should be possible to decrypt TLS1.2, see “TLS Decryption” in TLS - Wireshark Wiki. It will require some manual setup steps though.

Alternatively, if you control the other end, e.g. https://qa.xyz.com/ws/eca/create, then turning off HTTPS for the purpose of debugging may save you some time.

voltone

voltone

Decrypting TLS would be possible in two scenarios:

  1. You have access to the server’s private key and you constrain the negotiated cipher suites to ensure the key exchange does not use (EC)DHE, or
  2. You write the master secret for the session you want to decode to a file

This last option can work both on the server side (if you control the server) or on the client side (using Erlang’s :ssl.connection_information(socket, [:client_random, :master_secret]).

But there is an easier way: use Erlang’s tracing functionality, e.g. using :dbg or some higher level abstraction such as recon:

iex(1)> :dbg.tracer()                                                            
{:ok, #PID<0.258.0>}
iex(2)> :dbg.p(:all, :call)                                                      
{:ok, [{:matched, :nonode@nohost, 119}]}
iex(3)> :dbg.tp({Mint.Core.Transport.SSL, :send, :_}, :cx)                       
{:ok, [{:matched, :nonode@nohost, 1}, {:saved, :cx}]}
iex(4)> {:ok, response} = Mojito.request(method: :get, url: "https://github.com")
(<0.269.0>) call 'Elixir.Mint.Core.Transport.SSL':send({sslsocket,{gen_tcp,#Port<0.6>,tls_connection,undefined},
           [<0.303.0>,<0.302.0>]},[[<<"GET">>,32,<<"/">>,<<" HTTP/1.1\r\n">>],
 [[[<<>>,<<"content-length">>,<<": ">>,<<"0">>,<<"\r\n">>],
   <<"host">>,<<": ">>,<<"github.com">>,<<"\r\n">>],
  <<"user-agent">>,<<": ">>,<<"mint/1.0.0">>,<<"\r\n">>],
 <<"\r\n">>,<<>>]) ({'Elixir.Mint.HTTP1',request,5})
(<0.269.0>) returned from 'Elixir.Mint.Core.Transport.SSL':send/2 -> ok
{:ok,
 %Mojito.Response{...}

It takes a second to spot the actual request data in the output and perhaps reformat it, but it is much easier than setting up TLS decoding :slight_smile:

madasebrof

madasebrof OP

Awesome! So cool to know about this!

Yet the insanity continues:

When run from the app: error (returns status: 500)

(<0.935.0>) call 'Elixir.Mint.Core.Transport.SSL':send({sslsocket,{gen_tcp,#Port<0.55584>,tls_connection,undefined},<0.941.0>},
[[<<"POST">>,32,<<"/ws/eca/create">>,<<" HTTP/1.1\r\n">>],
 [[[[[<<>>,<<"content-length">>,<<": ">>,<<"1449713">>,<<"\r\n">>],
     <<"host">>,<<": ">>,<<"qa.xyz.com">>,<<"\r\n">>],
    <<"content-type">>,<<": ">>,<<"application/json">>,<<"\r\n">>],
   <<"user-agent">>,<<": ">>,<<"Elixir">>,<<"\r\n">>],
  <<"accept">>,<<": ">>,<<"*/*">>,<<"\r\n">>],
 <<"\r\n">>,
 <<"{\"CSID\":\"1245012...64696CCA\",\"payload\":\"hQIMAxEI/r3iJfdFAQ//aB/GhVKG4boVF22IlHJBWyro...
 5})
(<0.935.0>) returned from 'Elixir.Mint.Core.Transport.SSL':send/2 -> ok

run from iex! Works like a charm! (returns status: 200)

(<0.873.0>) call 'Elixir.Mint.Core.Transport.SSL':send({sslsocket,{gen_tcp,#Port<0.55628>,tls_connection,undefined},<0.947.0>},
[[<<"POST">>,32,<<"/ws/eca/create">>,<<" HTTP/1.1\r\n">>],
 [[[[[<<>>,<<"content-length">>,<<": ">>,<<"1449713">>,<<"\r\n">>],
     <<"host">>,<<": ">>,<<"qa.xyz.com">>,<<"\r\n">>],
    <<"content-type">>,<<": ">>,<<"application/json">>,<<"\r\n">>],
   <<"user-agent">>,<<": ">>,<<"Elixir">>,<<"\r\n">>],
  <<"accept">>,<<": ">>,<<"*/*">>,<<"\r\n">>],
 <<"\r\n">>,
 <<"{\"CSID\":\"1245012...64696CCA\",\"payload\":\"hQIMAxEI/r3iJfdFAQ//aB/GhVKG4boVF22IlHJBWyro...
 5})
(<0.873.0>) returned from 'Elixir.Mint.Core.Transport.SSL':send/2 -> ok

Those look identical to me!

wat

gmile

gmile

Are you running the requests from the same IP? I am just thinking what else can be different…

madasebrof

madasebrof OP

Crazy right?!?!

Yes, I’m actually connecting to the live app and running it from there!

E.g.

iex \
  --name $name \
  --cookie $cookie \
  --remsh $remote
madasebrof

madasebrof OP

Something very odd is going on.

I ran curl as a System.cmd and am having the same issue!

E.g. function calling curl run as a System.cmd works fine from iex, but not when run programmatically from app! Seems like maybe some weird permission thing, as it is being called from a phoenix channel, then spawned as a task of another Supervisor.

Anyway, will continue to troubleshoot. So strange!

Thanks for all the responses!!!

ps We are making http requests to tons of other http endpoints from other vendors that work just fine! This is a new vendor.

madasebrof

madasebrof OP

At the end of the day, I think it’s just a super flaky endpoint, and it was more coincidence that some requests were working and other were not!

I just tried 4 request in a row–first 3 bombed, last one went through.

Again, thanks for all ideas!

Rock on,

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews