vkryukov
Hello,
What’s the recommended approach for building an interactive terminal UI in Elixir with custom line editing and tab completion? At a minimum, it should support navigating with arrow keys, home/end, Ctrl-A / Ctrl-E should go to the beginning/end of the line, etc.
I tried :edlin but found its documentation lacking. Looking for alternatives or any examples how to use :edlin properly.
Best Regards,
Victor.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
christhekeele
Proper interactive terminal applications like text editors have been a little limited historically because the erlang tooling for interacting with the terminal has only supported a “cooked” mode of reading input, requiring newlines to send input to your program. There were some workarounds involving spawning a
tty_slport orsttyport with the right flags, but those approaches also came with some limitations and deprecations, including not capturing all metakey keyboard inputs fidelitously (fighting with erlang interactive shell key combos).Serendipitously, upcoming support for a non-cooked “raw” mode in erlang tooling was PRd a month ago, see forum discussion here: Raw terminal mode coming to OTP 28!
That PR even has (erlang) guides for making your own interactive terminal game and shell, so I’d say now is a great time to be exploring this space!
vkryukov
Thank you Chris, this is exactly the kind of input I was looking for! Will look in the new Erlang tooling; one more reason to finish reading Joe Armstrong’s Erlang book.
vkryukov
Hi, it’s great that raw terminal mode is coming to OTP 28, which means this functionality will be available by default when Elixir 1.19 and Erlang/OTP 28 release around May/June.
I’m looking for a way to enable similar functionality before then. I’ve tried:
iexusesedlin, but the process is too complex to extract just the line editing componentsDoes anyone have a minimal example that enables either:
getchfunction that captures keystrokes (including arrows and control symbols)I found this snippet from IEx.CLI but am unsure how to integrate it:
Any guidance would be appreciated!