paulstatezny
Hello everyone, I’ve just released a new library called SurfaceFormatter.
A special thanks to @msaraiva for his help and collaboration!
What is it?
SurfaceFormatter is a code formatter (like mix format) for Surface code.
If you’re not familiar with Surface, you can find it on Hex, GitHub, or the original ElixirForum post.
Why did I create it?
So that Surface developers can focus on building things without sacrificing valuable time and attention to make the code nicely formatted.
How does it work?
Add it to a Surface project, and run mix surface.format. That’s it!
Where can I find it?
https://github.com/surface-ui/surface_formatter
A short example
Surface code that looks like this:
<RootComponent with_many_attributes={{ true }} causing_this_line_to_wrap={{ true}} because_it_is_too_long={{ "yes" }}>
<!-- An HTML comment -->
{{#An Elixir comment}}
<div :if={{@show_div}}
class="container">
<p> Text inside paragraph </p>
<span>Text touching parent tags</span>
</div>
<Child items={{[%{name: "Option 1", key: 1}, %{name: "Option 2", key: 2}, %{name: "Option 3", key: 3}, %{name: "Option 4", key: 4}]}}>
Contents
</Child>
</RootComponent>
will be formatted like this:
<RootComponent
with_many_attributes
causing_this_line_to_wrap
because_it_is_too_long="yes, this line is long enough to wrap"
>
{{ # An Elixir comment }}
<div :if={{ @show_div }} class="container">
<p>
Text inside paragraph
</p>
<span>Text touching parent tags</span>
</div>
<Child items={{[
%{name: "Option 1", key: 1},
%{name: "Option 2", key: 2},
%{name: "Option 3", key: 3},
%{name: "Option 4", key: 4}
]}}>
Contents
</Child>
</RootComponent>
Trending in Announcing
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents
See this post about renaming the package.
Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components.
https://github.com/woylie/doggo
Features
Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hi everyone,
I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library.
Current functionality
In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
Other Trending Topics
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
Hey folks,
I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version:
Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Latest Phoenix Threads
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Eiji
Does this comment disappear? Looks like just a tiny
in your example …
harmon25
This is amazing, been needing exactly this!
Thank you!
paulstatezny
@Eiji Great observation
Yes, the parsing library from
Surfaceitself (whichSurfaceFormatteruses under the hood) does not expose those comments, so we lose them. However, you can replace them with interpolated Elixir comments instead.I think it would be great to be able to keep HTML comments. If there is enough interest, perhaps the Surface parser can be modified to expose them.
In the meantime, I have added a more thorough explanation in that section of the docs to hopefully make the “why” more clear: https://hexdocs.pm/surface_formatter/Surface.Code.html#format_string!/2-html-comments
paulstatezny
SurfaceFormatter v0.2.1 has been released.
Previous versions didn’t allow inline elements to stay on the same line among text nodes, for example:
The previous rules were that each node (HTML element, text, or interpolation) would always be moved to a separate line. Therefore, this represents a pretty generous “relaxing” of the formatter. If anyone finds that it has become “too relaxed” in any scenarios, please post here and let me know!
paulstatezny
SurfaceFormatter v0.7.0 was released. It comes packaged with a Formatter Plugin (available in Elixir 1.13) so that you can now run
to format both Elixir and Surface code in one command.
Special thanks to José Valim for adding Formatter Plugins to
mix format! And to Marlus Saraiva for his part in it as well!The next steps for SurfaceFormatter are:
To merge it into Surface so that formatting works with even less setup out of the box.
To attempt porting it into a HEEx formatter. As I understand it, formatting HEEx comes with some unique/extra technical challenges compared with Surface. We’ll see what happens.