lucasvegi
Hi guys!
My Ph.D. advisor and I are researching code smells in Elixir systems. This work resulted in the Catalog of Elixir-specific code smells, which has already become quite popular among GitHub users. (https://github.com/lucasvegi/Elixir-Code-Smells).
Now we need your help to identify what are the smells that appear most frequently and have the most negative impact on the maintenance of Elixir systems.
If you are interested in the quality of your code, could you please help us by answering this survey on code smells? (it should take 15-25 min) https://lucasvegi.github.io/Elixir-Code-Smells/
Thank you!
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
josevalim
Thank you @lucasvegi! I have pinned to bring more visibility to it.
If anyone has 15-25mins to spare, prepare yourself a cup of coffee/tea and consider filling in the survey.
lucasvegi
Thanks, @josevalim! I really do appreciate it!
Sebb
TIL: my code stinks.
Can you say anything of your plans with this?
lucasvegi
Hello! We have some possibilities with the results of this survey. For example:
Imagine that you have several code smells that are harming the maintenance of your code. Which one should you remove first? Maybe we can answer that question in a few months.
Tools like Credo could be adapted to detect the most frequent or harmful smells automatically. Our research can direct the effort to adapt a static code analyzer like Credo, implementing the detection of the most important smells first.
adamu
I think you may get more responses if it’s possible to preview the questions before submitting an email address and agreeing to the terms.
lucasvegi
Hi Adam, you gave a great suggestion!
A member of the Elixir community (@adolfont) has already made a short video presenting the content of the survey. You can watch it at this link: https://youtu.be/xgvE4GJEFyw (from 2min40 onwards the content of the form starts to be shown)
I know it may seem strange to provide some personal data like name or email, but when we do scientific research involving people, we have to follow some rules of the university ethics committee. This data is used for academic purposes only and will not be made public, as explained in our consent terms.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me, ok?
zpeters
I took the survey. I think i just learned a lot about different code smells that i wasn’t really familiar with. Very eye opening to me
lud
It’s tied to a google account. What if someone does not have a google account, or does not want the data to be tied with their account …
I’m taking the survey anyway
lucasvegi
Unfortunately, this is a limitation of the tool we chose to use in our research. While we know this may be an issue for some interested in participating, we believe it will not have a significant impact on our research.
Anyway, I’m open to receive messages from everyone who wants to participate and for some problem they’re not able to
JeyHey
Off topic but still. The term „code smell“ always struck me as crude. Aren‘t there better terms for this ? Or is it just me who has a problem with this word ?